Nib housing drilling

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jick wu

Every time I drill a nib house, I need a different drill bit to slowly get the right size. I have to reprint a few times to complete it. I am considering making a nib step drill so that I can complete the nib house drilling at one time without having to replace the drill bit. , Do you have any suggestions on this.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jarod888

Every time I drill a nib house, I need a different drill bit to slowly get the right size. I have to reprint a few times to complete it. I am considering making a nib step drill so that I can complete the nib house drilling at one time without having to replace the drill bit. , Do you have any suggestions on this.
The difference in the sizes is pretty small, so I wonder if you could drill the smallest diameter hole and the create a stepped reamer to create the other sizes. I think a reamer would be easier to make than a drill bit with stepped sizes.

Effectively, you would have to get a piece of drill rod and turn it down to the dimensions you need for each step. Then, you would take that piece and put it into a an index chuck on a mill and create 6 v-groves in each step area. You could then sharpen the remaining areas, thus creating the stepped reamer.

My idea probably isnt perfect, but it might work.

Last edited:

jick wu

The difference in the sizes is pretty small, so I wonder if you could drill the smallest diameter hole and the create a stepped reamer to create the other sizes. I think a reamer would be easier to make than a drill bit with stepped sizes.

Effectively, you would have to get a piece of drill rod and turn it down to the dimensions you need for each step. Then, you would take that piece and put it into a an index chuck on a mill and create 6 v-groves in each step area. You could then sharpen the remaining areas, thus creating the stepped reamer.

My idea probably isnt perfect, but it might work.
The smallest hole is done by a separate drill bit. The step drill only completes the nib housing part. I want to ask if the factory can do the step reamer.

Jarod888

The smallest hole is done by a separate drill bit. The step drill only completes the nib housing part. I want to ask if the factory can do the step reamer.
If they make them, id be interested in a couple. Thing is, you'd have to have 4, maybe 6 sizes. 1 for bock #5, 1 for bock #6, 1 for jowo #5, 1 for jowo #6 and possibly 1 for jowo #8, and bock #8.
Still, if they could be made and were accurate and not too expensive (20-25$) a piece, maybe 120 or something for a set, i bet you could sell them.

You would need very accurate dimensions, and maybe 6 cutting flutes is too many, I think 4 would work. The outside diameter of the cutting surface is what whould need to match the individual diameters of each "unit" at the specified areas. It's actually an interesting project.

duncsuss

You would need very accurate dimensions, and maybe 6 cutting flutes is too many, I think 4 would work. The outside diameter of the cutting surface is what whould need to match the individual diameters of each "unit" at the specified areas. It's actually an interesting project.

More flutes is better, IMO - less chance of the cutters distorting the material, so the final hole is closer to a perfect circle.

I would want to try one (it could be Bock or JoWo, size #5 or #6) to see how it works in a couple of different materials before I would commit to buying a set.

Jarod888

More flutes is better, IMO - less chance of the cutters distorting the material, so the final hole is closer to a perfect circle.

I would want to try one (it could be Bock or JoWo, size #5 or #6) to see how it works in a couple of different materials before I would commit to buying a set.
I was just thinking about the size these would be and having 6 flutes might be hard to make. I agree that more is better for a reamer.

Curly

Step drills are used in manufacturing and I have always thought they would be great for pen making. Here they are expensive as virtually all are job specific, therefore made to order but industry can justify it in the increase in speed of production. D bits could be made to follow the initial hole and be much easier to make. They are simply a rod turned to the shape of the hole and then half of the diameter is ground/machined off the length of the bit. They were used long before twist drills were invented. They would be worth investigating. I would be interested in them if you decide to go ahead and after paying I still have my arms and legs.

Pete

jick wu

If they make them, id be interested in a couple. Thing is, you'd have to have 4, maybe 6 sizes. 1 for bock #5, 1 for bock #6, 1 for jowo #5, 1 for jowo #6 and possibly 1 for jowo #8, and bock #8.
Still, if they could be made and were accurate and not too expensive (20-25$) a piece, maybe 120 or something for a set, i bet you could sell them.

If all the nibs are needed if feasible, and the commonly used nib series will not be excluded, it will save a lot of effort for the quick delivery of the pen craftsman.
The biggest problem now is that different materials will have some deviations when drilling the same drill bit. You are right. It is better to complete the preliminary drilling and then use the reamer for fine processing, which can reduce the error to a minimum.

Jarod888

If all the nibs are needed if feasible, and the commonly used nib series will not be excluded, it will save a lot of effort for the quick delivery of the pen craftsman.
The biggest problem now is that different materials will have some deviations when drilling the same drill bit. You are right. It is better to complete the preliminary drilling and then use the reamer for fine processing, which can reduce the error to a minimum.
Exactly. If you drill the section with a drill bit which is 1/64th under the smallest size the nib housing needs, then the reamer would true up the entire hole. Drill bits are notorious for drilling oval holes. Reamers can correct that, but boring is the best way to get a truely round hole.
I really think this idea has merit. The biggest issue will be getting them made to the correct size. The one thing that is in our favor, is we have a bit of wiggle room because of the materials. We are not machining precise parts for NASA.

guitarchitect

any further thoughts on this? I too thought of a D-Bit approach like Curly, but a reamer would be better. I would pre-drill the section with the drill bit size for the tap being used, then refine the shape with the reamer, then finish off with the tap. having nice square ledges for the section to sit flush against would be great!

jick wu

any further thoughts on this? I too thought of a D-Bit approach like Curly, but a reamer would be better. I would pre-drill the section with the drill bit size for the tap being used, then refine the shape with the reamer, then finish off with the tap. having nice square ledges for the section to sit flush against would be great!
Yes, before there is no such tool, it has to be modified to the appropriate aperture time and time again.

I have been busy recently. I will contact the reamer making factory when I am free later. It should take many trials to achieve the desired effect.

Top Bottom