Nib engraving

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jalbert

I wasn't really sure where to post this, but this was a little project I did this weekend for fun. I had a 14k gold Jowo #6 nib unit laying around, who was devoid of any markings. I thought it would be neat to hand engrave it and embellish it with a little decorative scroll work. The tricky part was working on a very tiny, curved surface. I thought this was a fun way to personalize my nib.
F19170FE-1893-4770-8061-9D8161B43AE8.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

I like it. On my phone, before enlarging, it looked like a big gob of solder or something. Thought you may gouged a hole in it. LOL. But, then I enlarged and saw the wonderful detail.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Do you enjoy tormenting us with your beautiful work? Well, you are! 😁

Excellent. Thanks for showing it.

Sigh! I can't draw a straight line without a guide. And certainly can't draw decorative scrolls.

goldendj

I'm absolutely floored by the skill and even more the creativity. If I were to try to come up with any pattern like that I'd draw a complete blank... outstanding!

Bryguy

John, everytimne I see your work I think"Wow! it can't get better than this". and then you post something new and it is better still! Keep on pushing the envelope, you are an inspiration for us all.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Something makes me think you used a micro grinding tip (carbide?) but I don't think you did that entirely by freehand. However, you may have. If done by machine, how did you get the machine to recognize the varying curvatures at different points?

I do remember a former post in which you mentioned you spent some time in metallurgy(?) classes. It sure has paid off for you! Thank you for posting your work!

jalbert

Something makes me think you used a micro grinding tip (carbide?) but I don't think you did that entirely by freehand. However, you may have. If done by machine, how did you get the machine to recognize the varying curvatures at different points?

I do remember a former post in which you mentioned you spent some time in metallurgy(?) classes. It sure has paid off for you! Thank you for posting your work!
Nope, all freehand! Pictured is my pneumatic hand piece and graver, engravers vice, and stereo microscope that I use to see small details.
2C34F2AE-25D6-4992-BE8D-688F41A8F912.jpeg

Woodchipper

You are an outstanding engraver. I have seen some detailed engraving on high end firearms, taking weeks to do one job. To work on a pen nib is beyond my scope. My complements.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Does the engraving affect the feed at all? Do you have to make some adjustment on the feed where the engraving is so close to the feed wall?

The gold does look great as it comes through!

jalbert

Does the engraving affect the feed at all? Do you have to make some adjustment on the feed where the engraving is so close to the feed wall?

The gold does look great as it comes through!
As in the graver deforming the nib where it meets the feed under the nib? No, I use a thermoplastic that is molded underneath and around the nib, so it's supported and I can hold it in my vice .
92EB5029-9DA3-4BA6-BAE0-5C83FC26FDAA.jpeg

Top Bottom