Nib comparison

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

I thought this was interesting. This is a Magnetic Vertex (top) and a Clarion Demonstrator (bottom), both from PSI. The Vertex nib writes a lot thicker.

Attachments

• nib_comparison01.jpg
    nib_comparison01.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 129
  • nib_comparison03.jpg
    nib_comparison03.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 130
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrin1200

I won't say that the nibs on the kit pens are bad, because they are not. However, the quality control can be a little hit or miss.
I usually find that I have to clean the nib and feed as well as do some slight tuning, when I leave the kit nib in.

Three factors can effect line width as you are showing.
One is feathering. Some papers feather more than others, however both your lines are on the same paper. Inks properties including viscosity, can also affect the amount of feathering. Assuming you are using the kit cartridges, they are not known for their quality of ink.
Another is ink flow through the feed. This can be affected by residues left in the manufacture, or in the quality of the feed. If the feed allows more ink to flow, it will be wetter and hence a larger feathered line.
Lastly, it could be the nib itself. I believe that the actual nib point is not a tight specification when it comes to these nibs. You can physically see that the upper nib point is somewhat fuller than the lower. How the nib is shaped on the bottom, the point of contact with the paper, will also affect the width of the line.

This is just something that has to be accepted with these kit nibs. While it doesn't make the nib bad, the lack of consistancy can put off some discerning pen buyers. That's why many of them will appear to "snub" the kit nib.
You could try to tune and shape the nib, but nibgrinding, well that is a whole other rabbit hole.

Top Bottom