Newest Toys from the Shop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DrD

DrD

Just a quick post to show some of the new things I've been working on. Wife is worried this will become like my pens, that is I've got a significant inventory of pens with no foreseeable outlet for selling any of them off. She fears we'll end up with waaaay to many knives, next to waaaaay to many pens in the office. Oh well, the daily struggles of retirement.

These are the left and right views of 3 different knives - different in the wood used for the scales: 1st is a Curly Koa, 2nd is a highly figured Curly Koa, and 3rd is Macassar Ebony.

The scales are attached using 15 minute Epoxy and screws. The individual screw holes were then back filled with a mixture of thin CA mixed with sawdust from the respective wood; that explains the dark(er) circles seen fore and aft in each scale.

All scales were wet sanded using Walnut Oil from 80 grit thru 800 grit. Following sanding, these were finished with at least 6 additional coats of Walnut Oil with a day's drying between coats. 1 coat of RenWax was applied by hand and the hand-buffed until my arm gave out.

Comments always welcomed.

Attachments

• 3rd Knife1.jpg
    3rd Knife1.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 223
  • 3rd Knife2.jpg
    3rd Knife2.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 212
  • 4th Knife1.jpg
    4th Knife1.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 216
  • 4th Knife2.jpg
    4th Knife2.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 210
  • 5th Knife1.jpg
    5th Knife1.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 213
  • 5th Knife2.jpg
    5th Knife2.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 253
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DrD

I like them. I too have considered branching out to the knives. Too many projects, not enough time. :cool:
Happy New Year!

You have some really nice looking pens! Knives could be a natural adjunct. We're just starting up with the knives here. Setting up all the legal stuff - copywrite, trademarks, etc. We are calling our operation "Possum Town Knife and Pen."

Thanks for the comment.

More4dan

Nice work! I came from the opposite direction. I started making knives then bought a small metal lathe to make parts for my folders. I started making pens and the new hobby took over the knife making. Both can be expensive and time consuming but ever so satisfying. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Reactions: DrD

DrD

Happy New Year and Thanks Michael.

Happy New Year and Thanks Dan. Since the knife gig is new to me, I'm kinda all over that now.

Grampy

Too many pens
Too many Knives
Too Many Kayaks
Too many Corvettes...

...where does it end
Such is the life of a retiree

• Haha
Reactions: DrD
Top Bottom