Newbie question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

shavedhead

I got some precut blanks and the tube is maybe 1/16 inch longer than blank. Did not notice till I was gluing in tube, any thing I can do ,or chalk up to learning . slimline if that makes a differance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DrD

If memory serves, a small mismatch like that should not make any difference. Glue, square up, turn and finish the tubes. On assembly you just won't seat the transmission as deeply in the barrel.
There are plenty of slimline turners on here that can correct me if I'm out in the weeds.
DrD

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
The slimline kits are very adaptable for tube lengths that are shorter or longer. You just make the adjustment for the refill based on how far you push the mechanism in. DrD is correct.

Reactions: DrD

DrD

Thanks Mark! Guess that proves old minds don't necessarily forget everything - but don't let my wife know I said that or one of my best excuses with her is pretty well shot!

shavedhead

Thanks Mark! Guess that proves old minds don't necessarily forget everything - but don't let my wife know I said that or one of my best excuses with her is pretty well shot!
Thanks for the info, I was going to turn and assemble anyway just to get practice, whats the worst that can happen, it cost me a couple pen kits but you never know may turn out great Thanks

MTViper

When you start to insert your transmission into your lower barrel, make sure the nib is already inserted and then push the transmission in until the nib to transmission length is 10.1 cm. That works for all Cross style inserts.

bsshog40

When I put my transmission barrel in, it usually winds up at the line where my arrow is pointing. I usually always press in to about the end of the brass, insert my refill, and twist to see where the tip ends up. Then press in to my desired length. If your blank might be a little too short, just press the transmission in a little at a time until you get the tip to come out at your desired length.

Attachments

• 2019-09-28 15.14.16.jpg
    2019-09-28 15.14.16.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 147

WriteON

I like to assemble on the lathe with lathe inserts .... gently press and check. I was going in too deep with the lever type assembly system. Lever assembly units are hard to control. A little too much and backwards we go.

Last edited:

penicillin

Your slimline kit should work fine with the slight difference. As others have suggested, press the transmission mechanism very short, screw in the Cross type refill, and test the pen tip extension in and out by twisting the bare transmission mechanism. Press the transmission only a tiny bit at a time until the pen tip extension is perfect, but not too far, or it won't retract all the way.

The "press a little at a time" cycle is quick and easy to do. I would say that it is a common "best practices" technique.

Like others, I assemble pens on the lathe. I use these:
https://www.amazon.com//dp/B00C9731LM

Other pen kits can be very sensitive to tube/blank length. The visible length of a pen tip is around 1/16 inch, so you don't have much room for error.

The similarly named "Slimline Pro" click pen, available from Penn State and Rockler) is very sensitive to tube length. The sum of tube 1 + center band + tube 2 must be exactly correct or the pen tip won't extend the right distance. In fact, I am very careful to check the milled blank lengths with a digital caliper to make sure they are exactly 2-1/32 inches long before I start turning.

Top Bottom