Newbie Post

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mnerland

mnerland

This is a really fun and addicting hobby! I started about 7-8 months ago. These pens represent alot of the ideas, techniques and styles that I have gathered from this IAP group and I continue to learn. Thanks for all the tips and expertise. As expected and desired, please provide feedback on what you see. (Not photography)
Pens 10-6-19.jpg
My pens pale in comparison to many that I see, but I want to get better. Thanks so much! Mike N.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

studioseven

Nice collection of pens Mike. The designers are not the easiest of pens to turn especially if you had to make tenons. Did you make the segmented blanks? Thanks for sharing.

Seven

jttheclockman

Looks like you are a quick study and have soaked up quite abit of knowledge already. The sky is the limit so good luck as you continue on.

mnerland

Nice collection of pens Mike. The designers are not the easiest of pens to turn especially if you had to make tenons. Did you make the segmented blanks? Thanks for sharing.

Seven
Yes, I do the segmenting. That part is the most rewarding of all, in my opinion. Luckily the Designers are the "no tenon" type, however the rollerball in the bottom left corner has a tenon. So, I know what you mean. Thanks for the feedback. Mike N.

Hippoc07

Wow really beautiful! I do not think I can be able to pull off these types of pens in the same time frame. Looks like you have really taken well to the hobby. I love the straight line segmented pen

leehljp

Member Liaison
This is not to be critical, as you did as superior job, which I mentioned earlier.

It could be the camera angle but the Celtic knots seem to be a minuscule off. If it is not the camera angle, then it is that the knot material is thicker or thinner than the blade kerf. The blade kerf dictates the thickness of the material that goes into cut-out area; the kerf and material thickness must be precisely the same; otherwise it will be off by the time the last cut is made/filled.

mnerland

This is not to be critical, as you did as superior job, which I mentioned earlier.

It could be the camera angle but the Celtic knots seem to be a minuscule off. If it is not the camera angle, then it is that the knot material is thicker or thinner than the blade kerf. The blade kerf dictates the thickness of the material that goes into cut-out area; the kerf and material thickness must be precisely the same; otherwise it will be off by the time the last cut is made/filled.
Hank, No you are absolutely right! Celtic knots have been my nemesis. I did a few with "through cuts" and tried to align by sight. Never came out quite right. Built some sleds, still haven't got it down. And I'm sure you are right about material thickness and kerf width. I know I definitely tried to squeeze the material into the kerf (way too tight). Thanks much for the constructive criticism, it's what I was looking for! Mike N.

Top Bottom