Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

me2cyclops

here is mt first entry closed/closed jr gent FP dressed in azurite truestone
1_fp2.jpg

1_fp1.jpg

Last edited:

Grim Spirit

Well, I qualify as I got my lathe on Dec. 22, 2008 (christmas present).

But, still haven't got my shop up and running. Had a honeymoon 1/4-1/12 (Costa Maya, Santo Tomas De Castilla, Belize City and Cozumel. Wish I had taken more money ashore in Belize..found out they have some beautiful hardwoods), Mardi Gras is here etc, so I doubt I'll turn any pens by the deadline.

Have my lathe, bandsaw, drillpress, mitersaw, bench grinder and odds and ends, and I'm still in it for under $100. Still need a decent set of turning tools and have to build a workbench to house it all.

Wonder if I mentioned to my new wife that I'm taking over the poolhouse?....

anapolis7

Burly Stripes

1_burlystripes.jpg

Here's my first entry into this lovely contest. This is the Baron kit from Berea. I made a segmented blank using ebony as the base, paduk for the red stripes, and some sort of burl scrap wood that I picked up at Woodcraft for a dollar. Overall I am pretty pleased with the result. The finish is CA/BLO and a whole lot of sanding.

This is also my first attempt to turn beads on the end of the blanks. I found it somewhat difficult to sand the CA finish in those areas.

I gave this pen to my girlfriend's dad. I am hoping it will serve as the ceremonial writing implement that rids us all of his "wife" (long story).

I have been turning for about a month at this point and this is approximately my 10th pen.

intillzah

A lot of good looking entries here. I'd enter, but sadly. I'm still making crap compared to those who have entered and I don't have a decent camera....

foamcapt40

My Humble entries

I turned my first pen back in September with a lathe my Dad gave me when he moved into a condo. Still trying to find a good place for all the stuff I keep buying. Looks like I'll have to rearrange my side of the garage!:biggrin:
The first pen is A Berea Chrome Sierra with Black and Silver Corian. The second is a Gold Sierra with Spalted Citrus and a CA finish.
1_Silpada_Sierra.jpg
1_Spalted_Citrus.jpg

Okay, I qualify for this contest as I've only turned about 25 pens since starting in Nov'08, but am I the only one who thinks the bar is being set VERY high? Some of these pens are gorgeous!:eek:

Crashmph

Okay, I qualify for this contest as I've only turned about 25 pens since starting in Nov'08, but am I the only one who thinks the bar is being set VERY high? Some of these pens are gorgeous!:eek:

Some? I think all of them look great. I was thinking that mine was looking good until the others showed up.:)

davinci27

Here's my first entry, Its a sedona with flame box elder and pink ivory. I attached them inline, and bigger ones as attachments.

1_pinky_close2pg.jpg

1_pinky_open.jpg

Attachments

• pinky_closed.jpg
    pinky_closed.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 177
  • pinky_open.jpg
    pinky_open.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 188

Daniel

Don't be discouraged by what you have seen. I am not a judge, but that does not mean I cannot look at this work and decide for myself what demonstrates the best of penturning from a beginner. I have it hands down. I won't say what it is at least not yet. But I will say from the comments above it is not one you would think it is.
penmaking does have a lot of element of this wood on this kit in this shape was chosen and it makes since. everything about those choices made it a better pen.
I look at the work for indications that is developing. there is a pen and then there is a "Treasure" developing the art of creating Treasure is what tells me you are advancing as a penturner.

davinci27

Hey Daniel,

You bring up a great question. What are the judges looking for? What are the guidelines the judges are using to evaluate pens? It might help everybody if we knew where to aim.

Daniel

Ben, It does stink a little bit. but these things are a bit like an audition. you don't know what they want and it is very much up to each judge and there tastes. so the bottom line is bring what you got and use it. let fate sort it all out. My post was meant to be a point about just because you think you have the best figured out. doesn't mean it was the best to the next guy. and the next guy just might be the judge that is eyein your pen.

Edit:
Thinking about this for a bit I do have these usually basics that i can point out. this is no guarantee that any of the judges will use any of these in their decision. but I will offer these basics that are usually looked for just so all of you do have some things to pay attention to.
I will also add that some but not all played a part in my decision to this point.

Material and kit selection computability. some combos work some don't and some are better than other even though both are good. this is generally something that is developed in a turner.

fit and intended shape. of course you want the wood or body material to make a neat match at the fittings. this is a given. but take what is in between also. does the pen appear to be a shape that you meant to make. or more of just what you managed to make.

finish, not only how well it was executed, but what does it show me about your knowledge of finishes and what works well with what materials. show me an acrylic pen with a CA finish and I will show you a very raw penturner. hope that helps with that point.

there is anouther element that I have seen here that I will not mention. it would most likely reveal my selection. I will say that it is quite shocking to see it in a contest of new turners. it is an element that even I have never had the opportunity to use in one of my pens. it is not something you can really choose to do, or even necessarily be taught. i will say that for me it reveals the heart and soul of a true artist. Maybe it is best to just leave it at that and let each person contemplate for themselves just what is the true heart and soul of an artist. in doing so you just might come one step closer in finding it within yourselves. Who knows.

Last edited:

davinci27

Daniel,

Sure that makes sense, I can point out dozens of things about my pens that need improvement. (I just hope the judges don't see them when they are looking :biggrin:.) I was thinking of something more like what was posted to the slimline contest, and I only thought about it because I just posted it this morning. All the judges in the slimline contest have a base set of guidlines:

Fit & Finish 1-10 (how things meet the bushings, sanding, finish, etc)
Form 1-10 (shape and quality of turning)
Innovation (creative blanks, use of parts, etc) 1-10
Photography 1-10 (used as a tie breaker)

I was wondering if the newbie contest had something similar for their judges.

Billman

Snowmass Village & Grand Junction, Colorado
Entry # 1

Alright, I'll give this a shot.

Here is Entry #1 from me.

This is a Americana Roller Ball using spalted aspen wood harvested from Aspen Colorado. CA finish. I went for a straight line shape since the person it is intended for has smaller hands. I also like the outcome of the pen because no matter which end the cap is on, the grain lines up nicely.

main.php
main.php

main.php
main.php

tim self

When I post a pen for competition, I guess I'll just enter it into the ugly pen constes instead! These are some gorgeous pens folks.

Billman

Snowmass Village & Grand Junction, Colorado
No problem Russell, glad we could fix it.

Russell's problem brings me to ask... Why are uploaded attachments not allowed in this thread?

The reason Russell could not view my photos initially was due to the photo be hosted on my server and me having his entire IP range blocked because of foreign spammers that were using many different IP's from within that range, forcing me to finally block the whole thing. If anyone else can not see mine or someone else's photos, let them know because of reasons like this.

Crashmph, glad you like it. Just my nerdy side coming through.

chuybregts

My First Acrylic

I got my lathe in mid jan 2009, and this is my first non-7mm pen and first acrylic pen (turned it tonight). Turning acrylic is...interesting... If the odor doesn't get you, the string like shavings will!

1_CowPen.jpg

Chris

RHunter

Local Chapter Leader
Noobie Pencil

OK, the rules say turning less than six months... Check!

If you count the 6 I did for Turn for the Troops- (never even touched a lathe before that), this makes about a dozen total.

I made this for my daughter with the Artist Sketch Pencil kit from CSUSA- hopefully with this, she will stop "borrowing" my mechanical pencils...:rolleyes:

Wet sanded to 1500Grit, Plast-X, then White Diamond buffing.

I apologize for the less than steller picture- SWMBO suggested I take a picture of it- and then I thought of this Birthday Bash contest- no light boxes, no tents, nothing fancy. Just a piece of quilting cloth I "borrowed" from the wife and set it on the Dining Room table.

Thanks for looking!

ArtistPencil-1.jpg
ArtistPencil-2.jpg

Zinderin

I'm out of my league here with you guys. You're very good. But I'll share these, because I love looking at pictures and I want to start contributing. I only started making pens just after Christmas, and I've only made 10 so far. Here's four of em.

Nah, this isn't an entry in the contest, I'm not up to your level yet.

n623594601_2104192_7429.jpg

By the way ... the rosewood and chrome pen (left bottom) ... that pen feels sooo good in
the hand ... if you haven't made one like it, you should try it. I kept that one form myself.

Oh yeah, and the kits I use are from Rockler

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Brett!!!

Don't knock em! Nice looking pens and nobody can beat an attitude that says, "I want to start contributing!!"

Six months, you'll be a star - right now you're well on your way!@!!!!

Welcome!

(Now, go to your profile, add a "signature line" and put "Brett" in it. Then we won't start calling you Zinny the Pooh!)

Stick around, join the fun.

AKBeaver

My Entry

Well, Since I have only had my Lathe since October, I guess I qualify. I have done about 20 pens and am still learning new things every time I step up to the lathe. These pens I did over the weekend as gifts for co-workers.

Pen 1 and 2 are Black Titanium El Grande's. 1 is a Purple Rain blank and 2 is a dark gray Invasavue. Pen 3 is a Teacher's Pen with the main body out of ash and the clip is a bat.

If there is a problem with the company logo's, let me know and I will pixelate them for the site.

Please be kind with your criticism...

Standing by for heavy rolls.

Dave

Attachments

• Pen1_1.jpg
    Pen1_1.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 189
  • Pen1_2.jpg
    Pen1_2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 185
  • Pen2_1.jpg
    Pen2_1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 198
  • Pen2_2.jpg
    Pen2_2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 183
  • Pen3_1.jpg
    Pen3_1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 212
  • Pen3_2.jpg
    Pen3_2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:

tim self

entry #2, acrylic ultra cigar

Attachments

• 100_0855.jpg
    100_0855.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 184
  • 100_0832.jpg
    100_0832.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

davinci27

My second entry

Started Turning in September 2008

The pen is made with Afzalia Burl and ebony. There is a small strip of holly separating the afzalia and ebony. The finish is CA MM through 12000, EEE, and renwax. The kit is a slimline/streamline.

Attachments

• afb_use.jpg
    afb_use.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 174
  • afb_Tuse.jpg
    afb_Tuse.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 173

PenAffair

I made my first pen in late September, 2008. Never turned before that. I've made about 30 pens so far, and have spent a lot of time trying to get my resin casting down pat.

Here's my first entry. It's a (gpw) Executive, with my own hand cast resin blank that I like to call "Lava Flow".

Hope you like it.

Russell.

Attachments

• LavaFlowExecutive.jpg
    LavaFlowExecutive.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 181

tlbrooks

I posted a picture in the member photo album. Not sure how to get it over here. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. I got my lathe as a freebie from my brother in law. It came with all the tools and chisels, plus 35 or 40 various pen kits. It sat in my garage, unused for 4 or 5 years. I finally decided to make some pens as Christmas gifts last December, '08 Made a dozen or so and, of course, I'm hooked!! Lots of fun. Also this was my first pen picture with my home made light box. It turned out pretty good if I say so myself. This picture was taken with 3 lights and my thought was maybe two lights would give a little better depth and shadow detail. Give me your thoughts. Thanks for all the suggestion. Lots of help on this forum! Two big thumbs up!!

Manny

Last edited:
Top Bottom