Newbie in San Jose

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darcisowers

Hi!!

I'm Darci - from San Jose, CA. I'm brand new to turning. I've been interested in learning about pen turning for about a year, as I've teased my husband EVERY TIME we go to the local Woodcraft store, that "hey look, there's a lathe - I could make a pen!!"

So 2 weekends ago he found a lathe on craigslist, and is working on getting it operational...(don't ask, it's a bit of a nightmare story of us buying a lathe without a motor, with a stuck tailstock...and then realizing that the LATHE is not the whole part of the deal... hand tools are needed too, and a grinder, and... oh yeah, and pen related stuff!) but we're ALMOST there. We have almost all the parts ORDERED to be able turn the lathe on, and he's building me a stand for it. Should be nice. I'm hoping it will be operational by the weekend.

Anyhow, I met up with Greg over this past weekend, who GRACIOUSLY invited us all (hubby and kids too!) to come up to his house where he walked me thru turning my first pen. It's BEAUTIFUL. now I'm hooked.
first_pen.jpg
My pen kit is Sedona, I used Bloodwood. (I still have a lot of the lingo to learn.)

I'm very excited to learn this - so that *I* can be an expert at some fashion of woodworking (this is my first "solo" project!!), and then hubby will have to share the garage.

:)
Darci

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Welcome to IAP:biggrin:

But I'm afraid I have to break the bad news to you:mad:

You are NOT allowed to make a cool pen on your first go!!!!!! It's in the rules somewhere!!!!!!!!!!. You are supposed to make dozens of poorly finished and very badly fitting slimlines first!!!!!

Gee, the nerve some people have.....:biggrin:

rej19

Very nice Darci. There's no way I would show my first pen. I would have been banned from the site on my first post! Welcome.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Hi Darci and welcome!

Here are a few links you might like to check out.
It is not in detail but a good overview for pen turning.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

Also included below is a link to a new post that gives some information that people wished they had known earlier in pen turning. Some good information by those that make pens.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Oh, and are you sure the wood on your Sedona is "Bloodwood" and not "Purpleheart?" It really has a nice purple tone to it in your picture.

darcisowers

OK, so in all fairness to the real first pens, my SECOND pen will be the TRUE first pen. My first pen was just the "get 'em hooked" version.

Cathy, I think my photo isn't that great - the pen looks very red in person. Although when we got the blank, we REALLY thought it was purpleheart (and was what I originally wanted). I'll just have to try again to get a purple pen! :wink:

I saw the first link you sent last week (great article!) and I hadn't seen the second. THANKS.

I'm going to post a question to the group once I figure out where it's supposed to go! :biggrin:

Thanks everyone.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Darci. Great to have you here and there is a wealth of info available from people on this site. You already are on your way. Great looking pen for someone who just started - even if you did have help. That is a great looking pen for someone who has been turning for a long while!

Join in the fun!

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Darci. I'm glad you could make it out. It was a fun time.

I have to apologize. You don't know it yet but all your spare cash just went away. :frown::eek: Well, maybe you already knew it as Andy was building his flat-working tool pile. :rotfl::clown: The good news is that you seemed to have a natural ability so you will quickly start producing pens rivaling any on IAP. And it will save you lots of Christmas shopping money!! :biggrin:

See you soon!

Top Bottom