Newbie from Texas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1shootist

Hello everyone,
I'm around the Dallas area.

Fairly new to pen making..I can't believe I put it off this long, this is amazingly enjoyable. I've had a small hobby size lathe of some kind for around 15 years orso. Taigs, several different sieg chinese wonders and the present sieg which is a Micromark 7x14..though I am presently contemplating a new mini lathe of some sort as a replacement for the micromark..or I will replace the spindle bearings again and give it a good power wash cleaning.

I was making pens utilizing the ink refills from bics about 2 weeks ago and thought I'd buy a few pen kits for the fun of it..now after 4 more new orders, every family member and friend has at least 3 newly made pens and I'm having more fun on the lathe than I have in a long time.

I've thus far only purchased PSI kits so they are the only quality comparison I have, I'd like to buy some quality kits, ones that utilize more metal and less plastic pieces.. I've put together pens that look really nice but the plastic plungers or couplers just don't do them justice.
If someone could recommend some good kits I would be grateful.

Thanks for allowing me to join this great forum...I look forward to learning from the newest to the most seasoned turners !!
1shootist

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Russ!

I too have a Taig but have not used it in about 10 years. I started pen turning with the Taig as I lived in Japan at the time and I was able to put the Taig and a small assortment wood turing tools in my suitcase (here in the States) to carry back to Japan. A couple of years later, I had a small crate and took a Rikon lathe back over there.

Make some pens and post some picts!

Greetings; I'm in Houston and I'm pretty much right where you are except I haven't purchased another lathe yet. I turned pens about twelve years ago and really enjoyed it. I was very creative in my designs and sold a lot of custom pens. I'm hoping to get some input regarding what lathe would be the best one to go with and where I can get the best prices on pen kits.

MDWine

Welcome to the crew!
I have always like Berea, nice kits. I haven't purchased any kits for quite a while, but there are a BUNCH of places to get kits, most of which (I believe) are reasonable quality.

You're going to find that you appreciate certain ones over others for various reasons, so some "experimentation" will be in order.

Overall, your odds of getting a good kit at a good price are high.

Have fun and welcome... btw, we LOVE picture! ;)

Top Bottom