Newbie at casting questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ofd8001

I've just starting casting my own resin blanks and have a couple of questions for the seasoned veterans at this.

1. My colors seem to "bleed" together after pouring the mix into my PVC vertical molds. I suspect I may be giving the two colors enough "thickening up" time. Is that probably what is going on, or am I not adding enough catalyst?

2. Should the "mix" be stirred during the "waiting time" for it to gel?

Thanks!

Brooks803

If your colors are bleeding it most likely means you aren't waiting long enough for the resin to thicken. You'll have plenty of errors until you get a "feel" for when to pour in the mold. Don't be discouraged by this. Its part of the learning process.

How much catalyst are you using? The norm is 3-4 drops per 1oz when the ambient temp is 70° and above. There are several variables that determine how long it takes to "gel".

Not sure what you're asking in your 2nd question. When I'm casting I'm constantly stirring the resin to test its thickness to know when to pour.

ofd8001

Thanks!

You read my mind correct - whether to stir, or let the mix sit during the gelling time. I was wondering whether continuous stirring would delay the gelling, but it sounds like it doesn't.

Definitely a learning process, as with most everything new. I'm fully prepared to accept mistakes in the beginning as they are good (but frustrating) teachers :)

Top Bottom