New Yankee lidded box

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

alamocdc

As I understand it, the term New Yakee has to with repurposing things. The material in this box was and Oak headboard that someone was throwing away. Well, I don't let wood get thrown away. It makes LOML crazy, but after I used free recycled wood to make our night stands she no longer complains. So I took a 4" wide stretcher form the headboard and cut 4" squares. Glued three pieces together for the box and 2 for the lid. I sanded most of the stain off first, but left a bit for contrast. The lid blew up on me once, I forgot how unforgiving Oak was when turning end grain. Anyway, I made this for a friends daughter for her birthday today.

Attachments

• 640BellaOakBox.jpg
    640BellaOakBox.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 193
  • 640BellaOakBox2.jpg
    640BellaOakBox2.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 187
  • 640BellaOakBox3.jpg
    640BellaOakBox3.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 194
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

Looks good Billy. Did you go with a suction fit or a loose fit? Seems like I can't make up my mind which type of lid fit I like better for my boxes. How come you didn't include the type of wood with your signature on the bottom?

Ed

W.Y.

Great work.
At first look I thought . . . oh no . . . he's got himself a Ringmaster :biggrin:

Nice way of using recycled wood.
I have often looked at big water bed frames and such at garage sales that can be picked up for a couple bucks and sometimes for free but have heard the varnish finish on them can be hard on planer blades.
What has been your experience with that ?

nava1uni

U use recycled wood and sand it or use Jasco if it has a varnish finish. Doesn't take long and then it can be planed or turned. It makes it easier to glue.

alamocdc

William, I always strip any previously finished wood I run through my planer. But planer knives are relatively inexpensive (at least mine are) so I don't worry about that much.

alamocdc

Looks good Billy. Did you go with a suction fit or a loose fit? Seems like I can't make up my mind which type of lid fit I like better for my boxes. How come you didn't include the type of wood with your signature on the bottom?

Ed

Sorry, Ed, I guess I missed your questions. (Insert head slap icon here)

The side of the lid is angled, but it will actually suction if she closes it enough. I make some of each type. It just depends on the vision of the box I have in my mind. I also switch up having the tenon on the box vs the lid. As for why I didn't include the wood type, I just didn't think of it.

Top Bottom