New Wood Blank Prepartion...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Old Codger

Old Codger

Over the past couple of years I've purchased a number of wood blanks sealed with wax or some other sealing coating. I'm not sure how long, if ever, I should leave the blanks to dry before turning. Should I go ahead and turn the sealed blanks and then place them in bags w'/wood shavings to dry before finishing them or just wait a year or two (maybe more...) before attempting to turn them. They are mostly exotic woods and local burl woods and quite expensive so I don't want to waste them... Your expert experience and recommendations are greatly appreciated !

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

endacoz

I would like to hear what people say on topic. I recently bought some bowl blanks (9) from craft supply. The sticker in them is basically a disclosure saying anything can happen once the wood wax seal is broken and that they are not already totally dry so it is a guessing game as to the current state of any wood.

Maybe I should get a moisture guage, how deep can they measure the moisture? Only a few inches or the entire log? Would such a device help? !

1080Wayne

If only the ends are sealed , your chances of the blank being dry enough to turn are much better . As Ken suggested , a $10 scale capable of weighing 2 kg in 1 gm increments will allow you to very accurately determine if a blank is dry at your ambient conditions . Simply weigh it , record the weight , redo a week later , and if no change , it is ready to turn .

Fully wax sealed pieces can be a different matter . My approach is to scrape off as much of the wax as I can on the non end grain sides , then weigh and treat as above . Not all of the wax on the sides has to be removed , but enough to expose some wood fibers so the moisture can escape . You shouldn`t be able to scrape more wax off with your thumbnail .

alankulwicki7

If you turn to finish you shouldn't have any problems with checking. The problem generally happens when you start turning something and take a break for a few days.

SDB777

Are you talking about a 12"diameter bowl blank, or are you talking about 3/4"sq x 5-1/4" pen blank?

The answer depends on the subject.....
Scales work great if you know what the weight was the moment it was sealed....
MM work great if the items are smaller.....

Scott (coffee, coffee, coffee...) B

Fay Prozora

I recently turned 2 bowls on some blanks that I bought and the bowls are drying now. The blanks had wax all over them. I left the wax on the areas like the rim of the bowls and the bottom on the tenon. Will finish that off when the bowls are dry. I had a feeling the wood was green but I turned to get the shape of the bowls and they are now in a bag wrapped in newspaper to dry and they are losing a gram a day. Every once in a while I take them out and weigh them and when they stop losing the grams then I will put them back on the lathe and finish turning the bowls. I enjoyed turning the bowls... Fay

I'm no where near an expert on this subject and you can take my post with a grain of salt, but I rarely worry about how green a piece of wood may or may not be... I very rarely buy a bowl blank commercially, most of my woods are gimme's that someone has cut and allowed me to have a log or two in exchange for a bowl.... much of it is very green when cut. I have far more problems with warp than with check or cracking. I turn most bowls to size or very near to size and if I feel it needs further processing before I finish it, I have a 5 gallon bucket of denatured alcohol that I'll soak a piece in, or I have an old Hotpoint microwave in my shop that I can put a 13 inch bowl in and nuke it for a bit.... if I use the DNA, I'll let it soak for 1-3 days, then pack it away in a brown paper bag for a couple of weeks, then finish it... with the microwave, I start with a simmer setting, run it 2-3 minutes, cool for 20-30 minutes, repeat, and repeat... then I may change to a higher setting on the oven, then run it 3-4 minutes, cool for 20-30 minutes and repeat until I am satisfied... until very recently, I used a scale to check between nukings, or an estimate of how dry it felt... I bought a moisture meter for my Christmas and will be using that to get a better/hopefully more accurate reading. I tend to use the microwave more than the alcohol bath.

I rarely turn pens any more, but the woods on the tubes are so thin that for the most part they will dry rather quickly without worrying about cracking... some woods will crack no matter how dry they are... wood and brass expand at different rates of expansion and if the brass expands more than the wood, you have a crack.

Top Bottom