New UHMW Sleeves for my PSI Pen Assembly/Disassembly Press

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska.

Today I made a new set of Sleeves for my PSI Pen Assembly/Disassembly Press. The ones I have been using were starting to get marred up pretty bad and I hadn't made them long enough that I could just re-face them - an oversight that I corrected on the new set. I turned them from white 1-1/2" inch UHMW rod. The hole in the long one, which slips over the spring loaded factory plastic piece, was drilled out with a 30mm forstner bit. The hole in the short one, which slips over the aluminum piece, was drilled out with a 1" forstner bit.

I like them much better than pressing my parts between the factory one that has a tapered hole in it and the hard aluminum piece. I think that the UHMW gives me just a little more cushion between the kit parts when I am pressing them in. I also had problems in the past with the tapered hole occasionally causing marks on the nib/tips of my kits.

For me, making jigs or jig parts like this can be just as satisfying as making pens.

Regards.
Dave

IMG_2010 Cropped.jpg IMG_2457 Cropped.jpg

PS Although I didn't snap a picture of it, I also made one of the short one's with a 31/64" inch recess hole drilled in its face. This hole accommodates the rounded top on the cap/clip of the Sierra style kits and holds it square during pressing. It makes it much easier by not having to try to hold the part straight when its rounded end is against a flat press surface. It's not my own idea, it was something that learned from Ed in one of his Exotic Blank video shorts.

If you are not familiar with the Exotics' Short Vids, I highly recommend you check them out. Ed's slightly older videos can be found on the "Ed from ExoticBlanks" YouTube channel.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

d_bondi

Nice. Thanks for sharing Dave.
I too really enjoy the jig making/problem solving activities. I guess it is just my inner engineer.

egnald

That is a great Idea! Good job! I have that press.....Where did you get UHMW rod?
Since I had PayPal money to spend I ordered a 4 ft. piece from an eBay seller, buyplastic this time ($42.50 with free shipping); however I usually get my plastic stock from Grainger or from McMaster Carr. I have some 2-inch, but I was feeling lazy and didn't want to mess with turning it down to 1-1/2 -- because I would have to change the jaws on my chuck.

Dave

PS I was in your neck of the woods a week or so ago. We stayed overnight in Iowa City on the way to the MPG in Chicago.

Top Bottom