New turner from the USoA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark_V

Hello!

Thank you for the acceptance and I look for ward to learning about the craft.

I have been woodworking for a little over a year and am hooked. I recently purchased a lathe and started turning to some small legacy items for my coworkers.

This is my first batch made from an old flag staff.

Attachments

• IMG_1025.jpeg
    IMG_1025.jpeg
    354.4 KB · Views: 67
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Welcome to IAP from Ohio! Have FUN! I really like the quartet you posted; nice profiles. Just a random suggestion: The timber looks like an Oak/similar (open pores) - so consider wiping down a few with any wood stain. Wipe it off and the pores will be accentuated, finish as preferred. I did this and they each (same blanks) had a unique visual.

Alan Morrison

Welcome to the forum, Mark.
Check out the Library, if you have not found it yet. you can find it under 'Resources'

Good job with the pens!

Mark_V

Welcome to IAP from Ohio! Have FUN! I really like the quartet you posted; nice profiles. Just a random suggestion: The timber looks like an Oak/similar (open pores) - so consider wiping down a few with any wood stain. Wipe it off and the pores will be accentuated, finish as preferred. I did this and they each (same blanks) had a unique visual.
Thank you for the suggestion! I will give it a try

donstephan

Where are you located? There may be a local woodturning/pen making group near you, can be a great source of information, mentoring, and support.

Top Bottom