New Turner from Houston, Texas =)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OutofTurnSam

Just wanted to say hello to my new community!

I've been interested in pen turning for a long time (I've always loved pens) but it wasn't until my dad opened up his own "shop" that I've been able to realise this dream. So for my birthday this year (Jan 9th :party: ) he gave me money enough to purchase my very own lathe (which will be kept at his shop) so that I can teach myself the art of pen turning. =)

I know he hopes that my preferred medium will be wood, but I am absolutely fascianted with the endless color combinations of working with acrylic and can't wait to begin working with it. My hope is that if I become skilled enough I can sell my creations, and even make my own blanks! (a process that seems a lot easier with acyrlic than wood)

Anyways, my husband and I live in a small apartment, in a smaller town on the outskirts of West Houston (Katy area). We've been married for nearly 3 years, and have a beautiful young daughter that is my pride and joy. In addition to my new found interest in turning, I also love photography, crocheting (amigurumi), and baking!

I look forward to meeting you guys and swapping stories and trade secrets. Please be patient with me as I have NO IDEA what I'm doing! (When it comes to pens - I'm quite adept at website navigation :p )

_Sam

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

renowb

Welcome Sam from Spring, just north of Houston. I am actually from Rosenberg. Looking forward to seeing your pens!

Atherton Pens

Sam, Welcome from Georgia.
Visit the IAP forums often. It's amazing to see some of the "penmanship" that's here. And all are most willing to share ideas and assistance. If you want to learn about penturning, this is the place!
Enjoy.

Mark

Hi Sam... Welcome to the IAP. Take a look around and don't be afraid to ask any and all questions..

ctubbs

Sam, welcome to the IAP from West Kentucky. Be sure and have a look at the library. You can find the link in the upper right of the home page. There you will find a true treasure trove of information and tutorials on various parts of pen turning. Photos are always welcome. There is the adage here, "No photos, didn't happen." So whenever you have a question, if you can provide a pic of the problem, the answers may be more informative for you. Now go, make shavings and photos and then post them here.
Charles

JohnU

Welcome Sam and Congrats on the lathe! You found the best place on the web. Its a huge family full of knowledge and support. Theres also an endless list of materials you can make a pen from with new ideas popping up here all the time. Maybe you'll be showing us a new one in the near future. Good luck and enjoy. You'll be creating masterpieces in no time. Looking forward to seeing your work. John

Last edited:

el_d

Welcome from Lockhart Sam, Thats my Daughters name too.

She has turned some pens but her interest kinda dwindled off when she became a senior in High school. Who'd a thunk it ????

GLENN S

Hi sam. Welcome from the Alief area. There are plenty of people here willing to answer any questions, and offer help. Enjoy the "addiction!

Top Bottom