New Toys

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

I got a couple of new toys in the mail over the weekend. One is a beading and parting tool, the other is a small round-nose scraper. Both are by Ashley Iles and are being marketed as tools for penturning. Here's a picture of a pen I did last night while playing with these new toys:

200512513370_covenbead1.jpg

BTW, I think the wood is some boxelder burl, but don't hold me to that!

Scott.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

NICE!
I like how the beads contiue the beaded theme of the CB but they don't detract from the wood.
What style is the pen,what type refill?

PenWorks

AAAAAHHHH, nothing like new tools. Great looking pen Scott. The bead design is not over whelming and the beads really came out nice. [:)]

Glad I didn't order that ring cutting tool yet, may have to add this to the list.

Anthony

wayneis

Scott I have to say that I do like what you did eventhough I'm usually not a fan of beads and bumps on pens, what you did came out very tastefull to me. I like how it all blends with the centerband.

The kit looks like the Berea Streamlined 7mm kit with a cross refill.

Wayne

Scott

Thanks for the comments everybody!

Eagle â€" That’s a Streamlined Slimline from Berea in chrome. It’s a great kit! Standard 7mm/Cross guts.

Wayne â€" I’m not too fond of bumps and curves either. This was actually a practice pen, trying out the tools. I’m glad you liked it!

I received the tools from Joel at Tools for Working Wood (http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/). If you go to their site click on “Ashley Iles turning toolsâ€, then on “Miniature and pen turning toolsâ€. The ones I got are the three-piece set and the 3/16†round-nose scraper. I’m working on a review of these tools for More Woodturning.

This beading and parting tool is shaped more like a spear-point parting tool, and you cut the beads about the same way you would with a skew. I had never used this type of tool for forming beads before last night. It actually seemed to work better than using a skew. I’ll try to post a draft of my review here later in the week. So far I am pretty impressed with these little tools!

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom