New Toy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

My new toy arrived today Amazon.com: PSI Woodworking Products CSCPENCHK Dedicated Pen Drilling Lathe Chuck: Home Improvement it's really works nice and the bit wobble that I had with my Nova g3 is gone. I drill an blank at was not square and I was able to drill it dead center. I do think the Tommy bars are a bit small other then that it's a great chuck.

Put handles on the tommy bars with a length of rope or chain in between so you don't lose the pair .... :)

SteveJ

Interesting that you can get it cheaper through Amazon than through the PSI website - and Amazon gives you free shipping if you have Amazon Prime.

csr67

I have that chuck for my Rikon 70-100 and it works great. Yes, the tommy bars are a bit small, but I have a small magnetic dish stuck to the front of my lathe that holds the bars and drill chuck key securely.

$2.99 at HF and very handy. 4" Magnetic Parts Tray

LoneOak

I use that chuck on my lathe and love it. I am sure you will find it much easer than the drill press, I have.

I agree with this statement 100% as I like the dedicated blank drilling chuck much better than using my crummy drill press which is too small.

Skie_M

Still wish I could afford a decent scrolling jaw chuck .... :)

I paid $109 for my lathe (after taxes), so paying more than that for an attachment for it just seems silly .... *sigh*

scotirish

I have one of those. Just a suggestion, make sure the blank is all the way down, or nearly so, as the blank will wobble if not. Thus, the hole will be larger on the entry end than the exit end. :frown::frown: I have fount that even with a 5" or longer it causes the blank and bit to wobble. :eek::eek: Even so I like it for the shorter blanks. For the longer ones I use the Nova blank drilling chuck jaws, Buy Nova Pen Drilling Jaws at Woodcraft.com they work well.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Ron

Skie_M

That might be the way for some to go, but I don't have the money to get a more expensive lathe (yet) .....

Perhaps after I get a bunch of pens made and sell a good bit at a show or something, I'll have the extra money in hand to go out and get a larger and more powerful lathe .... but I won't give up my mini. It has more than enough power to handle pens, and while it has a few issues, I'm working them out. :)

Top Bottom