New toy in the house…

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mmayo

mmayo

20 watt laser cutter/engraver. First efforts thanks to a friend who is ahead of me in the curve.

Attachments

• IMG_4057.jpeg
    IMG_4057.jpeg
    254 KB · Views: 86
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

How many rabbit holes are you going to drag us down? Kidding. I have been fascinated by laser cutters/engravers, but have held back due to the smoke and fumes (SWMBO is highly sensitive to fumes), so I may pick up a small laser that I can operate outside in the warmer months. In the meantime, I will live vicariously through your explorations! :)

mmayo

How many rabbit holes are you going to drag us down? Kidding. I have been fascinated by laser cutters/engravers, but have held back due to the smoke and fumes (SWMBO is highly sensitive to fumes), so I may pick up a small laser that I can operate outside in the warmer months. In the meantime, I will live vicariously through your explorations! :)
It does stink, but compared to CA in winter- just stinks doesn't burn respiratory membranes. I am building an enclosure to exhaust smoke outside. The brand is sculpfun. That should help a bunch.

Attachments

• IMG_4063.png
    IMG_4063.png
    620.3 KB · Views: 40

mmayo

Just finishing these six "ornaments". The material is 3 mm plywood. It cuts through easily with one pass. The holiday box will become an ornament too. Some modifications are in store for the next burn.

Last photo is of sanded and DNA wiped final product. Total time for six was just over an hour while I did other stuff. I watch it regularly and will buy a halon extinguisher.

Better to burn out than to rust out!

Attachments

• IMG_4064.mov
    39.5 MB
  • IMG_4065.jpeg
    IMG_4065.jpeg
    266.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4066.jpeg
    IMG_4066.jpeg
    556.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

SteveJ

Nice work. Looks like you will be making adjustments to get the tabs tighter on the box. My first boxes either wouldn't go together or were so loose they fell apart! Make sure you measure the thickness of each board and adjust your cuts as needed. (Not all 3mm plywood is the same)

mmayo

Finally finished my enclosure and got everything just about right. Smoke is exhausted outside where it belongs with a pretty decent fan and a 4" dryer hose. I 3D printed the 4" flange yesterday.

I've been using a friend's engraver while I got mine dialed in and in my room with my 3D printers. Now with one laptop everything is kosher.

My first products went on sale today and time will tell. After the engraver; the cost is $0.25 each for each creation and they sell for $8. That kind of margin beats most pens and it works while, other than watching it from time to time, I do other stuff.

We are a tourist town so that will help with sales showing the word Tehachapi etc.

Attachments

• IMG_4068.jpeg
    IMG_4068.jpeg
    282 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4067.jpeg
    IMG_4067.jpeg
    306.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Top Bottom