New Tools Wow!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krudwig

I've been trying to turn pens for maybe a month now, and I've been reading and watching YouTube videos to learn about the process. I've made 11 pens total with my first attempt a fail because I didn't know the parts of a pen and how they go together and didn't know what the transmission of the pen was nor how it was assembled. Well I'm doing better and decided to order a few pieces to help me along including a lathe drill chuck and 60 degree live centers and made a sharpening jig like the wolverine variety for my grinder all of which I'm very pleased. I had a home made jig for drilling centers on my drill press and it made things quick but I love the accuracy of the lathe drill chuck it's just awesome! I already had a nova chuck with jaws which I have used on bowls so I love the setup for drilling and turning between centers is great too! What next many a round edge skew, a different tool rest ? Suggestions? Merry Christmas to all!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

What turning tools do you currently have and use for the pens you've done so far?

The three tools I use the most for turning pens are a very wide spindle gouge, easy wood tool radiused carbide pen tool and oval skew.

If you are turning one tube at a time , the short rest is a great thing. For both tubes at once it would be far from top priority and even a frustration.

If you don't have one get an inexpensive deburring tool for your tubes.

Also, at the top of my list would be a 60 degree dead center. This not only opens up the option of turning between centers, but I've found it the easiest way to apply a ca finish, even if you turn on a mandrel.

jcm71

Buy a dead center and the appropriate "Turning Between Center" bushings for the pens you are making. Turning one barrel at a time greatly improves your final results on the pen. Barring that, buy a mandrel saver and still only turn one barrel at a time. Doing so effectively shortens the length of the mandrel by several inches, minimizing the amount of flex you introduce to it when you tighten your tail stock. I use both methods, depending on the type of pen I am making. +1 on the comments above. Good luck!!

edstreet

While tools and physical objects may be a very good addition to your shop I would still urge you to first and foremost look at concept, design, structure and skill. The single best thing you can do, with any tool for that matter, is become more fluent on how to use them. This same thing applies to pen kits, how pens are made, what key aspects to look at, how the pen fits into the hand, how it is held, stored and the like is all critical in how they are made and often times these aspects are over looked.

Krudwig

Hey Guys. Some great ideals on what next the tool rest may be next , I probably will have to save up for the carbide cutters but they are on my wish list. I have some Benjamins Best and a set of pen turners that are ok , but he oval skew I think would be nice. I like what Edstreet said it certainly is good advise. I know that this is going to be an addiction for sure!

Top Bottom