New to the group!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I'm obviously trying to gain membership here as my new ambition is turn pens (I plan on doing rings as well). I have seen some really neat turned pens at jewelry store and other retailers and I think I can contribute to the design aspects and the types of media used. I'd be very happy to be accepted but unfortunately I'm still in the planning and design and development stages so I can't show any finished pieces. I'm still sourcing lathes, mandrels, blanks, shanks, CA, epoxies, alternatives etc. I'll be working in the back room in a jewelry store. He's given me license over the entire room as long as I continue to polish, engrave, replace watch batteries and other minor repairs as I attempt to establish my new line of steampunk-ish pens and inset channel rings. I expect to be happy doing something for myself finally as I approach retirement age. Thanks for lending your ear!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome and we look forward to your contributions here.

You have some experiences that will help greatly in making fine pens and rings. Here is a thread that others wished they had known earlier.

You mentioned "mandrels" - some people do well on them but they do add an extra step or two in the process of making a pen and in turn add a few more problems to overcome. It can be done, however there is an easier step that eliminates those problems: TBC or turning between centers. Being in the jewelry business, precision is equal to higher quality and overall, it tends to come from TBC. With considerable experience in turning and overcoming precision problems, mandrels can be just as precise, but that is with the experience of knowing how.

howsitwork

Tom

I wish you well as you join us on the journey. With experience in fine craft you should enjoy it I hope. Rings are a whole new field which I intend go wander through at some future date…

Have fun and welcome

Top Bottom