New to Pen Turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rbelafsky

I am new to pen turning. In fact, I will be taking an introductory course at a regional woodworking shop next week. I am preparing to buy some equipment for my workshop where I have limited space. Here's what I have on my list thus far:
1 - Rikon 750-150VSR 12" midi lathe
2 - Pre-owned craftsman 10", 1/3 HP Band Saw
3 - Bucktool 1HP Wall-mount Dust Collector
4 - Easy Wood Tools Carbide
Opinions and comments welcome including chuck recommendations, beginner options for blank squaring (on the lathe - penmill vs sanding?)
Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Oh, man! You're going to get quite a few responses to that question! (I think). Some thoughts:
1 - Although I'm not familiar with the lathe you're considering, Rikon is a brand that is well thought of. A 12" midi might be a bit of overkill but allows you to do other things such as bowls and some spindle work as you "progress". The variable speed is REALLY valuable. Ask any old timers who had to change pulleys every time they wanted to change speeds.
2 - Some form of cutting will be necessary and a band saw (esp a pre-owned one) can fit the bill nicely. But be sure the blade length is readily available. 1/3 HP isn't much. Might be in the market for a small table saw in the future.
3 - Again, not familiar with the DC you mention (but SOME form of DC is MANDATORY if you're going to be turning).
4 - Carbide tooling to start with is an okay option. Personally, I have both but I'm a steel guy. Make sure you have replacement cutters on hand. There will be a learning curve either way but carbide seems to be the way many folk get started.

I use (and have always used) a pen mill. It needs to be sharp but once that is figured out, I prefer it. You'll also have to have a way to drill the blanks. Drill press or on the lathe are the 2 primary options with advocates on either side. You'll need a chuck for the lathe if you go that way, but it's cheaper than a drill press.

Other things to consider - PPE - lung protection, face shield, etc.

Welcome to the addiction.

tomtedesco

Welcome from Colorado. I would suggest you contact a local turning group that will allow you to observe several different methods used by other turners. I don't use a pen mill, I like my disc sander with a blank holder/ squaring device.

Alan Morrison

Welcome to the forum, mate.
If you will be attending a woodwork course you should be able to garner advice from other turners there.
I own a pen mill and it rarely gets used.
Anyway enjoy your hobby.
Alan

Mr Vic

Plus 1 to Tom's suggestions. Hold off buying until you complete the class. Never know you may decide you don't like it. I'm a traditional style tool guy. If you learn with them you can move on to carbide cutters. My opinion! Avoid buying sets of turning tools. The 5 tool set may be cheaper then individuals but if you only ever use 2 of the 5 they get expensive.

And welcome to the forum!

RichAldrich

Welcome. Take the class. Then decide on what to purchase. Try to mentor with a carbide tool person and a traditional High Speed Steel turner. I started prior to carbide. I am learning tips from the carbide turners as well. The material you turn can be very fickle. I find flexibility and satisfaction with the traditionals.

I am surprised Mr. Vic did not mention the Skew. He is very good with the skew. Better than I am. The skew is like golf ( I guess) need to use it regularly to get the most out of it ( I hear). Cannot go wrong learning to use the skew.

penicillin

I agree with the others. Take the class first, then consider your next steps. Your introduction above tells me that you have already done a lot of homework. When you take the class, keep in mind that if you talk with 10 woodturners, you will get 15 opinions. :)

You said that you have "limited space." How limited? Keep in mind that you will need some cabinet-like storage space for supplies and accessories.

Do you plan to do your drilling on the lathe? If so, you will need a four-jaw chuck for the headstock and a Jacobs chuck for the tailstock. I prefer drilling on the lathe, but an alternative is a small benchtop drill press and a way to hold your pen blanks for drilling.

Another space-saving tool that I like are the small plastic lathe pen press adapters to assemble pens on the lathe. (You can find them at Woodcraft and elsewhere.)

dwkern

Welcome to pen turning! You have a great set of equipment to start with. At this point be a sponge and soak up all the info you can without buying a lot. Join some clubs and attend meetings (Zoom) to learn as much as possible. And of course there is YouTube. There is no right way to turn a pen, so experiment with what you have and slowly build your toolbox. Nothing worse than buying equipment that just collects dust. Don't ask me how I know about that... :cool:

Top Bottom