New to Pen Turning - My Best Pens So Far

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sprung

Sprung

I'm primarily a flat worker and I'm new to pen turning, and really turning in general. I made my first pen about 2 months ago and so far I've turned less than two dozen pens - 21 in total, if I'm remembering correctly. I'm really enjoying it. I haven't really been posting yet, but have checked in every day since joining and have learned a LOT from the threads here, as well as the awesome library.

Here's some of my best pens so far. Please excuse the pics for not being the greatest. I've never been real good at closeup shots and at least one of these was taken with my cell phone when our toddler son ran off with and hid our camera for a while.

Amboyna Burl on a 24K gold Jr. Gent I. The picture definitely doesn't show it, but this was an INSANE piece of Amboyna. I have a twin blank to this one and I'll be saving it for a special pen.

Desert Ironwood on a gold Sierra kit.

Unknown stabilized wood on a Smitty's Caballero.

If I could find where our camera is (kid ran off with it AGAIN) I could post a few more that turned out real well. If I can find the camera, I'll try to remember to take and post a few more pics here!

Also, I'll take any constructive criticism you guys are willing to give - I still have a lot to learn! (And you guys have given me so many ideas that I want to try as time allows!)

Attachments

• IMG_20140820_125859_805.jpg
    IMG_20140820_125859_805.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_20140820_125818_858.jpg
    IMG_20140820_125818_858.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0232.JPG
    IMG_0232.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 208
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Cell phones can take good photo's....just have to have a lot of light. Preferably a bright cloudy day. Line up the pen as evenly across the lens as you can get it(best resulting focal-field)....

Your photo's are dark, which may hide any sanding marks....
But the fit-n-finish can hardly be hidden....looks like you 'nailed it'!

Scott (keep them coming) B

Sprung

Cell phones can take good photo's....just have to have a lot of light. Preferably a bright cloudy day. Line up the pen as evenly across the lens as you can get it(best resulting focal-field)....

Your photo's are dark, which may hide any sanding marks....
But the fit-n-finish can hardly be hidden....looks like you 'nailed it'!

Scott (keep them coming) B

Thanks, Scott! And thanks for the photo taking advice - I'll definitely work on that.

I did actually manage to get all the sanding lines out of these pens - which is part of what makes them some of my best ones yet! I do wish I had done just a few more coats of CA on the Amboyna pen, but I'm still very happy with how it turned out - and I hope its new owner is too.

OZturner

Glorious Set of Three pens, Matt.
Great Choice of Blanks, and and well Matched Kits.
Superb Fit and Finish.
You are now not just a Flat Worker, you can now Turn.
Well Done.
Brian.

Top Bottom