New to pen turning and this site

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Welcome to the forum. Both TBC and mandrels have their advantages. I use a mandrel and really like it, others don't and that's fine. Don't be afraid to ask questions, there's lots of great info here and lots of experience.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Welcome to IAP from Ohio.

I use both methods. Ask 10 penturners and you'll get 20 answers. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Some slight, some fairly significant. If I had to start over with nothing bought, I'd probably get set for TBC. But I typically do fine with my mandrel and mandrel saver.

Have FUN!

Fuzzy63

Hello, I'm Just east of Marion IN. Welcome to IAP. You will find a lot of useful information here. I use both a mandrel and turn between centers. When I use a mandrel, If your kit requires two blanks, I still only turn one at a time. Either one works for me.
Gary

jttheclockman

I agree do not make any hasty decisions on mandrel or not. I use both methods and for good reason. As you get more involved you too will make your own decisions as to what you prefer. Welcome to the site from NJ.

KenB259

Welcome. I rarely comment on the, what seems to be an ongoing discussion, regarding TBC method and mandrel. I personally use a mandrel, my pens are not out of round, so I never really had the need to change. My suspicion on this issue Is that the reason some people get an out of round pen using a mandrel is that either their lathes are slightly out of tune, meaning the headstock and tailstock are slightly out of kilter with each other or there is some play between the mandrel and mandrel saver. I buy my tools with an eye to quality, most of the time that means they'll be a little more expensive, but usually you get better results with quality equipment. I know that's not always an option. I have seen some post pictures here where they are using a live center that isn't the 60 degree variety, that one was one of my first mistakes as well, it's all a learning experience. It's more expensive to try both methods, but probably the way to go to see what one you prefer, there isn't a wrong answer. Since you're just starting out, I assume you haven't made a big variety of pens, now would be the time to choose your preferred method. Later on, if you decide to switch, you'll have to re buy a lot of bushings, even though I know some don't use bushing at all. Good luck, this isn't rocket science, you'll do fine.

Top Bottom