New To IAP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BamaYank

Good Morning All,
Just joined IAP recently and still finding my way around. In do so I see there are Local Chapter within IAP. I live in N.E. Alabama in the small town of Bridgeport which is located as far as one can go in the N.E. corner with out going into TN or GA. Like I said I am new to pen making, some experience in turning wood but has been a Long, Long time ago in High School back in Michigan.
I have just aquired a 1950-51, ER-10 Shopsmith, cleaned it all up and am ready to start turning. I just purchase and I am waiting for my first pen turning supplies from Penn State Ind.
Like I said never did this before but am bound to try and learn. All the knowledge (which is very little) I have obtain thru on-line investigation, reading and video's.
Hope to be joining the TN-AL local chapter soon, I only wisde I would of known about the Chapter's Feb. meeting would of loved to attended that one.
Just a little about myself.... Douglas is my first name and I go by Doug, I will turn 67 this Sunday, retired from Detroit Edison Comp. in 2001. My wife (Becky) and I left MI latter part of 2000 for FL and lived there for 7 years. We then left Fl iDec. of 2007 and now live in Bridgeport, AL. It tuff being in the Federal Witness Protect Program always on the move L.O.L. We have 3 children, Becky has a daughter and I have two Son'd from previous marriages and we have 3 grand children.

Thanks for allowing me to intro myself!
The "BamaYank"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Acornelius

Doug,
Welcome from Hsv. AL. I'm newbie myself. I attended the local chapter meeting in Feb. for the first time. Man it was great. Got a lot of pointers, people were very friendly and just had a blast overall. It started at 9:00, and I told my wife I would be home by 11:00 or 12:00. The meeting was only about 5 minutes from my house. So, and 2:00 I called her and told her I was going to be late. I guess you know how that went.
Looking forward to meeting you at the next one.

ctubbs

Welcome Doug, from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. You mention that you have read some of the site, be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe. Before you waste good pen kits learning, grab some wood, drill the hole and glue in a tube. Turn it down to the size and shape you like and maybe even finish it out. Then turn the wood off the tube carefully. This will give you confidence in control of the tools. The tubes should last several times unless you get too aggressive and cut them. Once you develop your confidence and skill, then go for the gold.
Charles

Longfellow

Welcome

Welcome from Sunny St. Cloud, Fla. Home of beautiful Florida wood.

Attachments

• IMG_5028 (Small).JPG
    IMG_5028 (Small).JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 74

BamaYank

Thanks to all,
Especially Charles and Alex! Charles I have not been to the library yet but will be going right after this note of reply to you and Alex. Thanks for the info and the welcoming wishes to Penturners. Alex I hope to make the next chapter meeting and hope to see you there along with the rest of the guys as well!

Thanks Again
The "BamaYank" (aka Doug)

SGM Retired

Doug,

Welcome from North Alabama. Look forward to meeting you at the next meet. We had the last meeting here at my shop just north of Huntsville and it might be here again, not sure yet but more to follow. I'm retired military so I just hang around the farm and mack lots of wood chips. If you have nothing to do one day and you want to come over and talk/turn drop me a PM (Private Message) and I'l get back to you.

Gary

BamaYank

Another Thanks!

Hey All,
Woke up this fine morning once again (With the Grace of God) in Alabama! Have a little frost on the pumpkin this a.m. but looks to be a beautiful sunny day here, with Temps in the 60's.
Last evening receive e-mail that my stuff has been shipped by Penn State Ind. can't wait!!!
Any way like I was saying woke up and jump on my puter with a cup of coffee around 5, and found more members welcoming me to IAP! Thanks to you all !!! Especially to the ones from the Tennesee - North Alabama Chapter. Can't wait to join up and meet with you guys!
Thanks to Charles Tubbs from Kentucky...... I looked at the library section as you suggested. Problem was I looked at it all evening long. Gosh! There are so many great and various video's to look at and learn from! Wow! Thanks to all of you that share your secrets and experiences good and bad. Great learning tool for someone like me who is just getting started in Pen Turning

Thanks Again Guys!
The BamaYank ! (aka Doug)

Top Bottom