New this week

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Tortoise shell acrylic in a gold titanium Baron.

200521124516_TortoiseShellBaron.jpg

Big leaf maple burl in a black titanium Baron.
200521124241_BigLeafMapleBurlBaron.jpg

Thank you for looking and sharing comments and critiques.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Willow burl in a black titanium Baron. Blank was a gift from William Cavanaugh (wdcav1952). He recovered it from damage done during the 2004 hurricanes that ripped through the Susquehanna Valley of PA.
200521124751_WillowBurlBaron.jpg

Ziricote in a satin nickel Baron.
200521124959_ZiricoteBaron.jpg
<br />Thank you for looking. Comments and critiques are welcome and appreciated.

Gary

Those are all very nice, Lou. I particularly like the Ziricote. The satin nikel is a good hardware choice.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Outstanding Lou,

I should have sent you more of the willow burl! I knew you would "do the wood proud", but as I should have known, you did even better than I thought!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks to all for your comments. I'm finding that matching component finish to the specie of wood can make a lot of difference. On the ziricote, I'm not sure any other finish would have set it off quite as well. The same can be said for the black titanium paired with the willow burl.

It was also fun to interpret the shape of the Baron to take advantage of some of the specific features in each blank. Straight barrels on that piece of willow burl would have done it a grave injustice.

FYI, on the curly maple, you can see a bit of grain tearing. It starts on the surface and goes quite deep. It's a warning for those of you cutting your own blanks. Keep the bandsaw blade sharp and feed the wood slowly, letting the tool do the work. Hurrying those cuts really damages the wood.

Gary

That's part of the fun, isn't it? So many combinations, so many decisions, and the smallest of decision can have such an impact.

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Thanks to all for your comments. I'm finding that matching component finish to the specie of wood can make a lot of difference. On the ziricote, I'm not sure any other finish would have set it off quite as well. The same can be said for the black titanium paired with the willow burl.

It was also fun to interpret the shape of the Baron to take advantage of some of the specific features in each blank. Straight barrels on that piece of willow burl would have done it a grave injustice.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
From what I've seen on other folks's sites I think they sell for $50-75. I don't really sell pens.
Originally posted by Jake Byrd
<br />Wow, that baron is really growing one me...if you dont mind me asking...how much do they normally sell for if they are turned nicely?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom