New stove

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I need to buy a new stand alone gas stove with range hood also. Also need a new dishwasher. The problem I may have is I want to keep the fridge which is an almond color. I do not want stainless exterior. Can not stand that look. Any suggestions??? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

I just had to buy a new refrigerator. Now when your fridge goes out, you don't have the luxury of doing a lot of comparison shopping! I didn't want stainless steel! But that was all anybody had in stock...any other type had to be special ordered, and some were up to a month for delivery! I finally found a place that had ONE white side by side like I wanted....the problem being that the space where it had to go was only 35" wide, and most of the side by sides were wider than that. It still took three days to deliver it, but fortunately I had a little dorm fridge in the bedroom for my husband's insulin, and a fridge in the motorhome. The freezer part of the unit didn't fail, only the refrigerator, so I froze everything I could and put as much as I could in the other refrigerators. I lost all the produce. Filled the trash can twice. But I have a new fridge now. I don't recommend it as a refrigerator organizing technique, however :confused:

jttheclockman

The problem today is these trends or fads just do not last. I am remodeling my kitchen and wanted catherdral doors on the cabinets and it seems they went out of style somewhere and you can not get them unless special order. Special order anything today and pay twice as much 2 years ago. There is a 4 month wait on cabinets right now and growing. I am looking for a basic stove so it should not be too much a problem.

MRDucks2

Finding Almond that is not special order is going to be tough. I have moved 7 times now in 33 years, so have bought a lot of appliances. This round we went with GE and bought from Home Depot. Their order fulfillment was slow in January 2020, can't imagine what it is like now. They contract out local distribution and delivery which didn't work well either.

I do not recommend buying appliances through Home Depot.

I am happy with the GE products. Dishwasher is top notch and quiet. Fridge is, well, a fridge. Stove is more basic and a little slower to heat the oven that LG but great range of control and very even baking in the oven. As we have bought and sold houses over the years, we have found people either think they want stainless (it sucks) or hate stainless (they have owned it before and actually use their kitchen).

same with white. Love/Hate. The color we have found most folks do not mind and is easier to keep clean is Black. It can go with mixed color pieces, has been available for years and people are either like it or are pleasantly surprised or don't mind it. It is not for every kitchen color, though.

LG appliances are pretty decent. I will never buy Samsung appliances again after bad experiences with both refrigerators and washers. Still a fan of Kichenaide but they are a bit harder to find. Same with Amana.

Definitely Bosch on the dishwasher. 3 rack. Top is just a very narrow drawer for the tableware. Extremely quiet in operation. Adjustable shelf height. Have SS don't know if colors available. Paint it or somehow cover it up.

tomtedesco

Just passing on info from a family friend. He has an LG refrig and needed repair, no one would touch it except for the LG repair service for a lot more cost and longer down time than other repair people. FWIW

sbwertz

All our appliances are GE except for the dishwasher, which is an old Whirlpool. Our house was built in 1964, and has a cooktop and wall oven instead of a stove. Original GE appliances lasted 49 years for the wall oven and 56 years for the cooktop! Both were replaced with new GE versions, and they still had models that would fit the holes in the cabinets! All of our other appliances are black, and the white refrigerator stands out like moby dick. But the alternative was weeks with NO refrigerator. Now I live in Phoenix, not some small town, but there was not a black GE side by side that would fit our cabinets anywhere in town. I found the white one at a local Spenser's Appliances. I can live with moby dick and cold foods!

Back in 1964, they actually custom built all the cabinets in the house when the house was built...mine are Philippine Mahogany. All were built in place, not prefabbed and installed. We had some custom adaptions...my master bathroom counters are kitchen height because we are both tall, and the wall oven was raised eleven inches, again because we are tall!

Last edited:

sbwertz

Definitely Bosch on the dishwasher. 3 rack. Top is just a very narrow drawer for the tableware. Extremely quiet in operation. Adjustable shelf height. Have SS don't know if colors available. Paint it or somehow cover it up.
Thanks for the info on the Bosch. Consumer reports loves the Bosch, too. If they have one that will fit my cabinets that is probably what we will get.

Curly

You might have to spend more to get appliances that can have cabinet panel fronts attached so they blend into rather than stand out. The stove will be the hardest part unless you went to cooktop and built in ovens and I am pretty sure that is a no go.

We have Frigidaire gas stove, fridge and freezer. The dishwasher is a Fisher & Paykel. Two drawers rather than a drop down door and baskets. Range hood we bought from Costco. All of it is Stainless Steel and for most of them paint finishes are not an option.

We just recently put in a propane stove in place of the electric we had.... learning to cook all over again as the gas stove cooks quicker and differently than the electric.... fortunately the stove fit right where the other stove did. We put in a black stove which I find harder to keep clean looking than the white electric, but learning to really love the gas. It's a Frigidare.

We need to replace the vent hood that hasn't worked in 10 years, except for the over the stove light.... it's white, so will replace with a black vent.

Our Fridge is a Samsung double wide with the freezer in a drawer below... no issues with it except the ice makers have frozen up I think and stopped making ice. I think the fridge is out of balance slightly and too heavy for me to lift and balance... plus Dianne can't push it up enough or long enough for me to screw down the balance leg. It's stainless which Dianne liked and was half price at Lowe's because it's a scratch and dent... not visible from the front though. We had to remodel the kitchen to fit it in the space it needed to go... we moved the door to the pantry around to the side and widened the fridge slow. We do have a separate freezer in the utility room and a spare fridge on the back porch..(we are in Tennessee and the back porch is screen and enclosed.

Took the dishwasher out years ago... only two of us and I can wash dishes in 10 minutes.

jttheclockman

My whirlpool had panel fronts...we ordered it with black.
Sharon your kit. sounds like a duplicate of mine. I too have a wall oven and counter cook top with whirlpool dishwasher. They are all original to house which was built in 70's. Want to elliminate the wall oven and have combo stove range. The fridge is from Sears many years ago but it still runs like a top (knock on wood) and I like it. Why change something that works. I see Home Dept carries the GE in almond so that will be the brand. Pc Richard has it too same price. Heard alot of good things about Bosch dishwasher so will look into this. Everything has a long wait time and this is why this project will probably not get done this year. But will make the effort to get done. Has designer coming next week. I told her this is as simple of a job as they come.

Dieseldoc

What ever you do don 't Buy GE appliances . Google GE customer complaints, they all say same thing.
GEsold appliance division in 2017 to China. They are building junk with no- zero customer support.😡😡😡
it took me 7 months to get a rebate From them.

jttheclockman

What ever you do don 't Buy GE appliances . Google GE customer complaints, they all say same thing.
GEsold appliance division in 2017 to China. They are building junk with no- zero customer support.😡😡😡
it took me 7 months to get a rebate From them.
I may have no choice. Color will dictate brand.

Jans husband

We just recently put in a propane stove in place of the electric we had.... learning to cook all over again as the gas stove cooks quicker and differently than the electric.... fortunately the stove fit right where the other stove did. We put in a black stove which I find harder to keep clean looking than the white electric, but learning to really love the gas. It's a Frigidare.

We need to replace the vent hood that hasn't worked in 10 years, except for the over the stove light.... it's white, so will replace with a black vent.

Our Fridge is a Samsung double wide with the freezer in a drawer below... no issues with it except the ice makers have frozen up I think and stopped making ice. I think the fridge is out of balance slightly and too heavy for me to lift and balance... plus Dianne can't push it up enough or long enough for me to screw down the balance leg. It's stainless which Dianne liked and was half price at Lowe's because it's a scratch and dent... not visible from the front though. We had to remodel the kitchen to fit it in the space it needed to go... we moved the door to the pantry around to the side and widened the fridge slow. We do have a separate freezer in the utility room and a spare fridge on the back porch..(we are in Tennessee and the back porch is screen and enclosed.

Took the dishwasher out years ago... only two of us and I can wash dishes in 10 minutes.
Have you tried Winbag, an inflatable wedge?
Put it under the fridge, pump the bubble to inflate and lift the fridge to where you want it (level) and then adjust the leg.
If you Google Winbag I'm sure you will find a supplier in your neck of the woods.

Mike

sbwertz

I used a lever and fulcrum. Just used a dowel for the fulcrum, since I just had to raise it a bit. Used a piece of 1x6 for the lever, and placed it close to the foot, did one side then the other.

jttheclockman

JoHn: GE stuff is just like Harbor freight, If that what you want they it's OK. There are other's who make good stuff vMy replacement stuff has been Bosch which has been in service for several yeas and still running strong.
I understand what you are saying and will look around but the tan color is a lock in situation for now. I believe I can get the Bosch dishwasher with a panel front. Just getting into this. They do not make anything like they use to years ago. You get lemons in everything.

Curly

A different solution.

If you can't get the almond you want and are okay with white you could look into having the fridge painted white to match the new appliances. The fear I have with that, assuming it wasn't too expensive, is moving the fridge to get it painted and back might make it die soon after. Up side is that if it did cease after a few years replacing it with a new white one would be easy where finding an almond one could be hard.

jttheclockman

A different solution.

If you can't get the almond you want and are okay with white you could look into having the fridge painted white to match the new appliances. The fear I have with that, assuming it wasn't too expensive, is moving the fridge to get it painted and back might make it die soon after. Up side is that if it did cease after a few years replacing it with a new white one would be easy where finding an almond one could be hard.
Pete the word I got from my designer a few days ago, it looks like trends are shifting again and color is coming back. Stainless maybe on its way out. White will become popular again. Black is also making a splash. I am not sure how much more time I have left on this planet so I am not worrying about replacements down the road. If I need to replace all appliances it will be just fridge and stove and hood. The fridge is the most expensive appliance in a kit and the one I have works well so why get rid of it. Of course talking like this it will probably crap out on me as soon as I get project done. Just the way things go.

sbwertz

When we built our house in '64, coppertone was THE color. FINALLY last year I replaced the coppertone cooktop...last piece in the kitchen...didn't think that thing was EVER going to die...and I wasn't going to replace it until it did! The large front burner died sometime ago and I swapped it with the rear one, since we never use the two back burners with just the two of us to cook for. Finally that one died, too, and replacement burners were no longer availalbe. I could get a new cooktop. I didn't have a choice of brands. It is in a ceramic tile countertop so the replacement had to be exactly the same dimensions as the old one...only GE had one the right size. One thing I really like about it, it is hinged on the back and you can lift the whole top to clean the drip pan under the burners.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

When we built our house in '64, coppertone was THE color. FINALLY last year I replaced the coppertone cooktop...last piece in the kitchen...didn't think that thing was EVER going to die...and I wasn't going to replace it until it did! The large front burner died sometime ago and I swapped it with the rear one, since we never use the two back burners with just the two of us to cook for. Finally that one died, too, and I could get a new cooktop. I didn't have a choice of brands. It is in a ceramic tile countertop so the replacement had to be exactly the same dimensions as the old one...only GE had one the right size. One thing I really like about it, it is hinged on the back and you can lift the whole top to clean the drip pan under the burners.
Again Sharon you have the same kit I have. I too have coppertone appliances and yes all still work great because they are simple and no electronics to break. Cippertone sink as well:)

sbwertz

Again Sharon you have the same kit I have. I too have coppertone appliances and yes all still work great because they are simple and no electronics to break. Cippertone sink as well:)
Back when we built the house in 64 my husband worked for GE and we got a substantial employee discount on all the appliances. Our subdivision is very close to the GE plant, so many of the employees lived here and we all had GE appliances. That was back when GE was still making mainframe computers here in Phoenix, and my husband was a systems programmer there.

Top Bottom