NEW STOPPER

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PaulDoug

PaulDoug

I received some bottle stopper from the recient group buy the other day so I had to try them out. The blank is on of YoYoSpin's that I purchased through AS sometime ago. It is part of my son's Christmas. I wish I could get a blank with rank insignia on it to do for him also. Hard to believe the kid can retire in 5 years? If he keeps getting older he is going to catch up with me pretty soon.

IMG_0310sm.jpg

IMG_0306sm.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fiferb

Great Job and I'm sure he'll appreciate it. With a rank insignia he may get promoted in the next five years and it will be out dated. Maybe after he retires you could have a blank made with his retirement rank.

jttheclockman

Paul, very nicely done. It is a simple yet elegant design. Nothing over the top and it came out clear. Can you give me a few pointers on how you did it. Do you use a mandrel and if so which one. How do you polish it and what tool do you use to turn it?? I have some of those blanks but need to get abit more proficient before I try them. Thanks for any help you can pass on. I have seen Ed's videos and he makes things look so simple and I know that comes from years of practice but thought you may add some insight. Thanks again.

PaulDoug

Paul, very nicely done. It is a simple yet elegant design. Nothing over the top and it came out clear. Can you give me a few pointers on how you did it. Do you use a mandrel and if so which one. How do you polish it and what tool do you use to turn it?? I have some of those blanks but need to get abit more proficient before I try them. Thanks for any help you can pass on. I have seen Ed's videos and he makes things look so simple and I know that comes from years of practice but thought you may add some insight. Thanks again.

I used a mandrel from Arizona Silhouette and the bushing was too large for this bottle stopper so I turned a tenon on the clear end and put it in a beal chuck. Than I turned the blue end to size measuring with calipers. I also indent the end that screw on to the bottle stopper a little, makes a nicer looking fit. I turn the shape using a 1" oval skew mostly and where I felt more comfortable on curves I use a spindle gouge. After turned to shape I wet sand with the little two inch square micromesh pads. I like using those on acrylic.I mm all the way through the grits that are on the pads. Than polish with Brasso or Hut plastic polish and finally buff on the lathe with resonance wax. When turning, I turn at pretty high speed (1800 rpm). When all done I start cleaning up the white currlies that are all over the shop and me. You just have to have sharp tool, use light cuts and go slow.

Mikey

The stopper looks very nice, and with the size of the "handle" the stopper part kind of looks in proportion.

I had asked about the AS mandrel but found the mini one I had ordered. The AS mini bushing is a few 32nds smaller than the SS Niles stopper.

I'm going to see if anyone would mill us some busings to the niles stopper size that will slide on the AS stopper mandrel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom