New squaring jig.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I got inspired by WriteOn in another post he created using a Sorby ProEdge for squaring pen blanks. A few years ago , I bought a Jet 1 x 42 inch belt sander, it has an 8 inch disc sander on the side. I really didn't buy it for that feature and never really used it, as I have a 12 inch sander I use. Well I have been trying to think of a squaring jig that didn't require a lot of setup. My wife bought me a lathe mounted one, that I have been using and to be honest it works great. It just has to be setup each time. I had the sleeves and an old pen mandrel and a few little small pieces of oak. I first made sure the sander was setup square in both directions. The hole I drilled was off just a very small amount, so I put in a couple set screws on the bottom so I can adjust the zero angle if need be. The jig fits both the disc sander side as well as the belt sander side. Here's what I came up with.
IMG_1752.JPG
IMG_1753.JPG
IMG_1754.JPG
IMG_1755.JPG
IMG_1756.JPG
IMG_1757.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
The only problem I see is in the Mandrel (but I could be waaay off). What happens if you need to square a 3/8" tube or any other size other than 7mm (assuming this Mandrel is for a 7mm tube). I'm sure you've figured it out and I just don't see it
But other than, very clever for sure.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Sorry, he is a YouTuber that makes amazing stuff from wood. Loads of pretty cool stuff....
Loads of things like router jigs etc.
Look him up.. :D

KenB259

The only problem I see is in the Mandrel (but I could be waaay off). What happens if you need to square a 3/8" tube or any other size other than 7mm (assuming this Mandrel is for a 7mm tube). I'm sure you've figured it out and I just don't see it
But other than, very clever for sure.

I have sleeves that fit any pen tube. They all fit the same mandrel.

jttheclockman

One of those if you want to jigs. Can do it on the lathe very simple. You have to be careful with that it is 90 degrees all the way around the pin and not just top and bottom. Remember to sand on the downstroke of that disc sander or you will launch it.

Not sure why lathe is such a problem for you. Drill chuck, set of transfer pins, and a flat turning plate and some sticky back sandpaper. Put on lathe in under a minute. Dead accurate each and every time. Easy to change sandpaper too. With that you wear sandpaper in one area fast especially if doing acrylics. I change grits of sandpaper. Not discouraging you just pointing things out for others that may be looking at a jig or even wanting to copy this.

Last edited:

KenB259

One of those if you want to jigs. Can do it on the lathe very simple. You have to be careful with that it is 90 degrees all the way around the pin and not just top and bottom. Remember to sand on the downstroke of that disc sander or you will launch it.

Not sure why lathe is such a problem for you. Drill chuck, set of transfer pins, and a flat turning plate and some sticky back sandpaper. Put on lathe in under a minute. Dead accurate each and every time. Easy to change sandpaper too. With that you wear sandpaper in one area fast especially if doing acrylics. I change grits of sandpaper. Not discouraging you just pointing things out for others that may be looking at a jig or even wanting to copy this.

As I said I have been doing it the lathe and it has worked perfectly, never said it was a problem. My jig is square on all sides. As with most aspects of this hobby, there are many ways to achieve any given goal. This is just one.

jttheclockman

As I said I have been doing it the lathe and it has worked perfectly, never said it was a problem. My jig is square on all sides. As with most aspects of this hobby, there are many ways to achieve any given goal. This is just one.

You are correct there are many ways to do everything in life too. But i found if i find a way to have something work I use the old adage if it is not broke why fix it. Good luck with your new jig. Nother for your collection. You really should do a write up for the library for all your jigs. I bet Wayne would love to have it and they can be saved for years to come. Stay safe.

egnald

Cool jig. I use something similar clamped to the miter gauge on my sander, but the stock miter gauge is a little wobbly in how it fits into the slot. You have inspired me to make a DIY version that should give me better control and way more accuracy. Thanks!

KenB259

Cool jig. I use something similar clamped to the miter gauge on my sander, but the stock miter gauge is a little wobbly in how it fits into the slot. You have inspired me to make a DIY version that should give me better control and way more accuracy. Thanks!
Yes, I was going to incorporate the stock miter gauge, but it's way to sloppy, as most are. I just made my own, and there's absolutely no slop. You just have to make sure everything is square with the sander, before you make the jig. I have already used it a couple of times, and I love it. No setup involved, other than getting the correct size sleeve.

egnald

Yes, I was going to incorporate the stock miter gauge, but it's way to sloppy, as most are. I just made my own, and there's absolutely no slop. You just have to make sure everything is square with the sander, before you make the jig. I have already used it a couple of times, and I love it. No setup involved, other than getting the correct size sleeve.

Ken, Thanks for the inspiration. I spent my time in the shop today building a sizing jig for myself - Dave (egnald)

KenB259

For the lazy among us.

Bad thing about it though, you have to use the stock miter gauge. The stock ones that came with both my sanders are pretty much junk. But I agree, if you have a good miter gauge, this would be the way to go. I do love building jigs though. [emoji16]

Top Bottom