New Shop Tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PatrickR

PatrickR

#4, 5 & 6
9a9a8a04c2435d85e7dd2d44b658427c.jpg

Blackwood, Brazilian Rosewood, Timborana

The finishes (ca) are inconsistent. I need more practice for sure.

I tried to use sanding dust and ca for a filler on the BRW. When I mixed them, poof, smoke, heat and then rock hard.

The timborana one I burnt with a cheap Chinese laser.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BCnabe

I can't tell from the pictures but did you have any trouble scratching the finish when you put the clips on?

I've made just one and I like how it turned out but I did damage the finish by the clip.

PatrickR

I can't tell from the pictures but did you have any trouble scratching the finish when you put the clips on?

I've made just one and I like how it turned out but I did damage the finish by the clip.

I did ruin one clip by stretching it out of shape. I ended up using ring-clip pliers to open it some at the top as I slid it on.
Next time I'll use Edgar's trick^

OZturner

Excellent Pencils Patrick,
I take, that your problem fitting the Clip, was not with the Extended Arm of the Clip, but in getting the Spring Clip over the Blank and into the Turned Recess.

If so I suggest that you use three or four strips of thin Shim Stock (Brass or even Mylar) placed on the Blank from the plunger to the Turned Recess, to create a Protective Ramp on your Blank, so that when you Spring the Clip to fit it over, it will slide on the Shim Stock, and not make contact with your Blank.

Care should be taken with the placement of the Shims, to ensure that the shims extend beyond the opening edges of Clip, as these sections and the portion directly opposite that is under the Extended Arm, would be more prone to exert the most force that would scratch your Blank.

I trust my lengthy description, hasn't confused you.
Regards,
Brian.

Last edited:
Top Bottom