"New Series" Help Request

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Todd in PA

I bought a batch of the Berea "New Series" pen kits and tried to make one yesterday.
INSTRUCTIONS: https://www.bereahardwoods.com/pdf/New Series Screwcap.pdf

This is an unusual kit where the blank is shorter than the tube, so the naked tube sticks out the end of the blank to hold the center band. Options are:
  • Method 1: Glue, square and trim the blank regularly and then cut off one end down to the brass tube when I'm done.
  • Method 2: Cut the blank short and square it before gluing the tube in so one end sticks out.
I don't think TBC would be a good idea with a bare brass tube on one end, so I did Method 1. This also allows me to square the blank with my carbide cutter on the lathe (I don't have one of those sanding assembly jigs yet. Two problems. When turning between centers, the brass tube fluted slightly. And cutting down to the blank on the very small space between the blank and the bushing was difficult. I didn't do a great job, leaving the exposed end of the brass tube a little thin, and a little flared, with a tiny bit of glue on it. Basically the tube was all beat up. Pressing the center band onto an imperfect tube was not fun and the result wasn't something I'd be proud enough to give away (not tight, band spins).

I worry that with Method 2, my blank won't be as squared off as it needs to be, and I risk being out-of-round. I cannot find any videos of someone working this kit on youtube anywhere. So I'm looking for anyone here who has used this kit successfully and can guide me to success. I'm considering making a sacrificial end for the tube (not gluing that on). I don't know how much protection this would really give the tube.

Right now, at this moment, I think it's a poor kit (design), so I'm trying to focus on the positives:
  • It is a 3/8 size, which will be a better pen for people with smaller hands.
  • It has two straight barrels and a postable cap.
  • Overall attractive pen and center band.
~ Todd in PA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eharri446

Try gluing a blank the full length of the tube. Then when you get it turned where you want it, turn the end that the center band will go against down to the metal tube. PSI has a pen that does the same thing and their bushings allow the center band to slide onto them so that you can check the fit as you go. I believe it is called the European.

its_virgil

There are several kits that require that same step: to part off material down to the brass tube leaving a section of the brass tube exposed. I always use method 1. If your tube is beat up or deformed then be a bit more gentile and don't let your tool mangle the tube. I use a 1/8 inch wide HSS parting tool with no problems. Why is the tube end flaring? If bushings are being used then there should be no flaring. Glue left on the tube. Don't try to use your turning tool to remove all of the glue. An exacto knife or single edge razor blade will work to remove the glue.

My only dislike of that kit is the metal to metal threads. The cap tends to come off carrying the pen in a shirt pocket and the feel of the cap screwing onto the barrel is a bit sketchy.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Todd in PA

If bushings are being used then there should be no flaring.

My only dislike of that kit is the metal to metal threads.
I don't have TBC bushings. I just put the blank between centers to turn off the last .05". The tube flares a smidge... and a smidge more when the final dimension is very thin.

I agree about the metal threads. I thought perhaps my shoddy first try was a factor.

Thanks for your suggestions so far. Truly wish I didn't buy 15 of this kit. šŸ˜§

its_virgil

I don't have TBC bushings. I just put the blank between centers to turn off the last .05". The tube flares a smidge... and a smidge more when the final dimension is very thin.

I agree about the metal threads. I thought perhaps my shoddy first try was a factor.

Thanks for your suggestions so far. Truly wish I didn't buy 15 of this kit. šŸ˜§
Regular bushings (if you have them) can be used between centers.
Don

Todd in PA

Regular bushings (if you have them) can be used between centers.
Don
Thanks, Don. I genuinely thought I needed special bushings. I've been TBC without any bushings for several months!

This is a game changer.

I have made two more New Series pens successfully using your suggestion. It's now a 3 part process. Turn on the mandrel with bushings down to approximate size. TBC with bushings to exact size. Then lastly I TBC without bushings another .005-.010" because the CA finish brings it back up. I don't use sandpaper for anything. The last scrapes with a skew come off like dust and leave no tool lines.

2021-12-18 New Series Olive 002 (1920x1602).jpg

Top Bottom