new ring

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from btboone

btboone

Here's a new one for me. It has two inlays of 18K yellow gold with a wider inlay of Gibeon Meteorite in the center. The meteorite is from outer space and is over 4 billion years old. It's a metal very similar to stainless steel. It gets its characteristic crystalline patterns from it cooling so slowly over millions of years while in space. The addition of the gold on the titanium rings adds a bit of a fancy flair.

Attachments

• twingoldmeteorite.jpg
    twingoldmeteorite.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 270
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodlvr

Awesome work Bruce. This one would definitely be my choice for a new ring for me. I am sending the picture to the LOML and see if she gets the hint.

jttheclockman

Bruce

Another nice piece. If it is not a trade secret, how do you bond the different materials together??? Curious in that can the method be carried over into pen making??? Thanks for showing.

turbowagon

Nice!

I love your rings, Bruce... I need to figure out how to convince my wife to let me replace my wedding band with one of your wood inlay rings. I might need to misplace the original, but that would certainly land me in the doghouse for a while.

jskeen

That's super cool for sure. Do you have to etch the meteorite to get the Widmanstatten pattern to show up, or is it visible after polishing? Do you actually have to machine out the insert ring from the meteorite, or is it possible to cut a strip and bend it? I would think the first option would be prohibitively expensive even for jewelry, but I might be wrong.

James

btboone

Thanks guys. The meteorite Is cut in a strip and hammered into an undercut groove then laser welded. It is etched to bring out the Widmanstatten lines. The acid doesn't affect the titanium.

Top Bottom