new ring

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from btboone

btboone

scrollwork.jpg

Here's a new ring I did where I used the laser for the cut throughs. It's a tension set, meaning that there is no bridge between the arms holding the stone. The strength and spring of the titanium alone hold the stone in place.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

btboone

I was about to give it up for a living this week! My CNC lathe had a battery die and I was getting several errors that wouldn't allow me to run the machine. I finally figured out the root cause and got in the new battery and still no luck. We had to go in and change some machine parameters deep in the control that had changed and override an e-stop error to get things to work. Scary stuff messing with machine parameters! I finally got things running by this afternoon and spent all evening catching up. I discovered one outside turning tool was off by .040", so that parameter apparantly did not get updated with the others. Finally figured things out. I was a bit stressed!

kirkfranks

Bruce,
Sorry to ask but is this a ring designed for the woman or for the man. It has some aspects that make me think it could go either way.

btboone

This was for a woman. It's hard to see in this angle, but it has a Euro shank, which are corners at the bottom that help to keep the ring from rotating on a finger.

Jim Smith

Beautiful ring as usual! Just wondering if rapid significant temperature changes could cause the metal in the ring to expand or contract either putting too much pressure on the stone or allowing the stone to become loose and possibly fall out?

Jim Smith

btboone

No, that doesn't happen with these. If the ring expands with temperature, the prongs can simply bow further out if they needed to. The expansion might be a thousandth of an inch or so. There is something like 70 pounds of preload on the stone, and that won't change significantly with temperature. The stone will still be tightly gripped, but not enough to cause damage.

Top Bottom