New Rikon 70-220VSR spindle problem. Help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

More4dan

I have a Rikon 70-220 VSR lathe and have been very pleased with it. However, it now has a real problem. The spindle moves back and forth about 1/4" along its length. For the life of me I can't figure out why unless the bearing pockets were machined too deep and they have moved. Any ideas or similar experience? I thought I would ask here before contacting Rikon.

Thanks,

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

Tail stock? On mine the set screw in the handle slides back over time--loosen, move handle forward, tighten set screw.

But that reads more like it's head stock--so i'm following.
earl

More4dan

From looking at some articles on bearing replacement, it might be a snap ring on the left side of the spindle just behind the hand wheel has come loose. Something to check after the sun comes up.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

duncsuss

Recommend you call Rikon tech support, they are excellent. Better to find out in advance if there's a trick to getting that snap ring back in place than learn it the hard way (if that's what the problem is.)

Charlie_W

Danny, A friend had just the same problem with her Rikon Midi lathe. I pulled up the schematic/parts list for her(we were at the wood show) and looked at the diagram. She texted a few days later that she found the problem....yes, the snap ring on the left end was out of place. Once back in the groove, all was fine.
Note it shows two set screws in the hand wheel.
Hope this does it.

More4dan

With the clip in the groove there is still play in the spindle. There is a 0.050" gap between the clip and the rear bearing. I'm wondering if the wave washer might be missing. The one part that is missing on the Rikon website for ordering parts for this lathe. I'll have to call Monday when Rikon Customer Service re-opens.

I do have some thin titanium and stainless steel sheet I could attempt to make a washer.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom