New razors - even amboyna burl!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mmayo

mmayo

I was very fortunate last week to sell four razors and a shave set. As a result here are some new additions. The ones that sold were buckeye burl and several bocote, both diagonal and flat sawn. More often lately are customers requesting double edge razors so the one on the right meets that need. The set was made with Bethlehem olivewood and that will be turned once the stopper blanks arrive from WoodTuringz. I always favor CSUSA razor kits and shave sets.

Finish:
4 coats EZ Bond thin 5 cps
Light StickFast accelerator spray
12 coats of EZ Bond thin 50 cps also known as Pen Finish
Light accelerator sprays after each coat
Sanded with 400 grit
Buffed on the first 2 wheels in the Beale buff system

Attachments

• 72D551AF-BA86-46E9-BBE1-9237AB9E1C16.jpeg
    72D551AF-BA86-46E9-BBE1-9237AB9E1C16.jpeg
    371.8 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

@mmayo

Thanks for showing !!

Very nice work !!

Do you have any indication of how long the razor handles last in the dampness associated with shaving ?

mmayo

@mmayo

Thanks for showing !!

Very nice work !!

Do you have any indication of how long the razor handles last in the dampness associated with shaving ?
I have a razor finished in CA that is about seven years old. It looks great. It is even non Ti gold and the finish still looks acceptable though different. I use it often and rinse it thoroughly after each use with hot water and then shake it dry and wipe it before putting it away. I never immerse and leave it under water and advise my customers how to care for their razor.

I think it is critical to flush up the ends after CA application with 320 grit and then apply two or more coats of thin CA just to the ends. I then sand and buff. With this procedure I have CA all the way to the brass tube! I do this for every pen too as hand sweat is caustic.

Last edited:

mmayo

I have been wondering the same thing.
They last if you use sufficient CA glue and seal the ends with thin CA. Years is how long. I use CSUSA razors that can be unscrewed for refinishing if needed. So far customers have not returned any. This year I sold about a dozen razors and seven shave sets. It has been a big deal for me. They are easy and a set sells for $125 while razors fetch $45-$60. It adds up!

Last edited:
Top Bottom