New PSI Groove.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Has anyone purchased this new slimeline? I like the looks and sound of it but I'd rather have it one piece. I'm wondering if it screws apart in the middle like the others or does the nib unscrew. Another thought. Is the hole in the top where the click mechanism screws in, is it big enough to swap out the refill from the top? Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I just looked it up and it unscrews in the middle. I guess I'll just have to get one and see if I can modify it. Any other input is appreciated.

magpens

Hey, Kenny !! . Thanks for bringing this new PSI pen kit to our attention !!

This looks like a cool pen !!

I like the use of the Schmidt SKM-192 mechanism .... very smooth and quiet operation.
Same mechanism as used on the Everyday Classic, which was first introduced by PSI last summer, and which I have made several of.
However, you have to be rather careful with this mechanism ... don't press on it and don't drop the pen onto the mechanism ... DAMHIKT !!
The mechanism internals can be damaged if you are not careful. . Precautions are needed even after the pen is fully assembled and functional.

There are some tricky steps in the assembly, it seems to me while reading the instructions. . I have not made one of these kits.
But the instructions seem to be pretty explicit and complete and well illustrated so the procedures given should work, it seems to me.

I really like the idea of a slimline click pen based on (so-called) 7 mm brass tubes, even tho' I am not a fan of the Cross refill.
It is hard to get away from a Cross refill for this size of brass tube, given that you want to be able to disassemble the pen to replace refill.

I will be interested to hear reports on this new kit from people who buy and make this kit.

EDIT: . I see that, for this new slimline design, there is a twist version as well as the click version. . I did not notice the twist version at first.
The click version is roughly twice the price of the twist version ... mainly because of the cost of the click mechanism, I feel safe in saying.
The twist version seems much like the slimline kits that we are all very familiar with. . Refill replacement is done by PULLING the top off.
For the click version, to replace the refill, you UNSCREW the top from the bottom ... the center band is threaded ... totally new for a slimline.

To tentatively and speculatively attempt an answer to one of Kenny's questions, I doubt very much if the top end could be modified to allow refill replacement through the top end ... due to the size of the plastic top on the Cross refill, and also due the way that the click mechanism screws in.
The click mechanism has to be screwed into the cap piece before the cap piece is pressed into place. . That cap piece cannot be subsequently removed. . If the click mechanism does happen to become unscrewed and fall out after assembly ... well ... you are "screwed" !! . The pun is intended and there is no way to get the mechanism back into its threaded mount. . ( I have worked with this mechanism and have been frustrated by its design for this very reason.) . There is good reason that the instructions tell you to make sure that the mechanism is securely screwed into the cap piece before the cap piece is pressed into the upper brass tube. . There is also good reason that you should not press on any part of the click mechanism during the assembly process - pressing on it is likely to wreck the mechanism, as I have found out by actually doing that.

Last edited:

Kenny Durrant

Thanks for your input Mal. The only other kit that I'm familiar with that uses the same brand cluck is the Blade. You screw it in after assembling the top piece and it uses a Parker refill which is a bigger diameter that a Cross so I can't compair the two without both side by side. I've been thinking about using a Don Ward trick and modifying the bottom of the pen. I'm sure I can do it just not sure it will be worth the trouble with the Blade available. I'll order a couple slim clicks and I'll post some picks when I'm finished.

magpens

@Kenny Durrant

Thanks for your reply.

The Blade (from Berea) uses a different click mech. .... it is the Schmidt SKM-88 mechanism, whereas the PSI Groove uses the Schmidt SKM-192.
So it is a different kettle of fish, partly because it uses the Parker refill instead of the Cross (for Groove).

I'm not familiar with the Don Ward trick (modifying the bottom of the pen) .... can you give me a reference to Don's work, please ?
Maybe it has to do with making the nib end removable/replaceable in order to change the refill.

I will be VERY interested in what you come up with in your attempts to modify the Groove. . Please keep us posted.

Kenny Durrant

I met Don at an local IAP meeting and he gave a demo on his slimline modifications. I know he published a book but not sure if it's in there. He's an active member here and if he sees this maybe he'll respond. I've used his methods on the twist pens and they worked great. I'll be sure to post pics when I get them. I'll also PM Don and see if he will expand on if and where there might be more info on his pens.

its_virgil

I'm not familiar with the Don Ward trick (modifying the bottom of the pen) .... can you give me a reference to Don's work, please ?
Maybe it has to do with making the nib end removable/replaceable in order to change the refill.

Mal and Kenny,

Not sure what modification to the bottom of the pen Kenny was referencing. There is not much that can be done with the bottom (nib/writing end) if the cone is not removable. I have made single piece pens from most all of the popular twist pens: slimline, cigar, perfect fit, jr gent twist, el grande twist to name a few. I have made the SLimline Pro click into a one piece but the nib cone is screwed on so it can be removed to change the refill.

I looked at the instructions form the Groove and with neither the clicker nor the nib/cone being removable then making it into a one piece is not promising.

Several of my modifications can be found in the flib here or in the files of the FB penturning or casting groups. There are several articles on my website and the address is in my signature at the bottom of this post.

Contact me with any questions and I will answer them. I have written a column called "The Penturner's Carner" for More Woodturning Magazine since 2006 so I have a lot of articles and I need to get more of them in the library here. I just submitted 4 this past week. April 2020 is the last issue of More Woodturning Magazine. It has been fun.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

its_virgil

All are made with slimline kit parts.
IMG_3974.JPG
2012-08-21 16.01.44.jpg

mick

Don, I never got one of your books. I'd like one. Where do I get it, you, Exotic or where?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom