New Peppermill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TellicoTurning

It's been a while since I posted anything.. found a piece of ol' dead wood out back and made this little mill.. 7-1/2 tall, crush grind.. finished with polyurethane, inside and out.. Spalted Maple.
20071119233646_34-294.jpg

This is one made to order for a lady that saw one I had in Cedar, she liked the shape and style, but liked the Ambrosia maple wood better.. this one is about 10 in high, also a crush grind and finished with polyurethane.
20071119233922_34-348-3.jpg

This one is a new style I'me playing with.. it's a shaftless crush/grind with the grinder in the top.. you hold it with the top down, twist the bottom and the pepper comes out through holes in a lid.. no pepper on the table cloth.. wormy maple, finish is min-wax. The mill is about 8 in. tall.
20071119234220_34-171-5.jpg

both of the second two are glue ups..
Thanks for looking and would Appreciate your comments.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Draken

Interesting shapes, they look good! How do you like the shaftless compared to the shafted mechanisms? I'm intrigued by the "upside down" one and it keeping the table cleaner.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Chuck,

The world needs innovators!!!
Innovators make prototypes.
Prototypes become accepted.
About then is when I am willing to try to sell them in the Midwest.

I wish YOU the best!!!!!!!!!!!!
If all goes well, I will adapt it about 2025!:D:D:D

I like the crush/grind mechanisms..both the shafted and shaftless... problem with the shaftless is they do tend to slip. I would like to say my upside down is my innovation, but in truth, I picked up a little booklet at Woodcraft that showed a fix for the slip and also showed how to make the upside down style.. my innovation was to lengthen the lower body and make a bigger mill. I put a 1/8 diameter piece of brass rod at an angle through the tenon that will catch the 3 fingers on the shaftless mechanism.. it keeps the mechanism from slipping in the body.

bjackman

On a shaftless grinder I made, I epoxied the top turning wood piece onto the top portion of the mechanism. It NEVER slips, :D but I do have to refill it through the bottom grinder opening. Not that big of a deal to do two or three times a year.

R2

It's great to see that someone is prepared to depart from the traditional shpe for a pepper grinder. interesting set of shapes.:):)
Just astrictly personal thought- how would #3 go with either a slightly fatter bottom section or a slightly slimmer top section? it's often hard to tell from a photo just what the proportions really are.

Top Bottom