New Pens from January Exotic Blanks "live" Demo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

This group began as a request from Ed at Exotic blanks. I was invited to participate in a live "Zoom" demo that Exotic Blanks presents every month on line for free. Last Thursday's topic was kitless and custom alterations in pen making. It's always a great time visiting and hanging out with Ed and Dawn Exotic Blanks. These are my contributions...

The first is a new pen component set at Exotic Blanks "not yet available". It's a stainless steel rollerball. Ed sent me a couple to play with prior to the demo. My first thought was Abalone will look great with that stainless steel color! I constructed a custom finial and center band along with the blank, abalone shell clear cast in silmar polyester resin. This will definitely be one of my "go to" component sets!

Second is a custom Sierra with a "left over resin" blue and black mica pearl blank I poured. replaced and added a custom band to the front and back of the pen. Sometimes I like to see if I can disassemble sets to make custom parts.

The third pen is a new "Tan Plaid" blank I'm making. I wanted to show how you could make "kitless or custom" pens from pretubed clear cast blanks. By using the original parts for internal measurements, I constructed new "Chechen wood" parts. Making tenons gave them strength and allowed me to keep the pieces in place. I left these pieces loose so I could disassemble the parts for the demo. If I were making a pen to use, I would have epoxied them all in place during the turning. I used the jr nib and threads in the cap.

The last picture is the group of pens I took. The cigar replica and feather pen were from past turnings. My regret in the cigar pen was that I didn't cover the metal center piece with the label. I assembled the pen after gluing the label and couldn't move it. The feather pen is feather on a wood maple background with Jutoba wood lower and top finials and center band middle ring.

All comments welcome,
Thanks!

Attachments

• Steel Abalone (1).jpg
    Steel Abalone (1).jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 133
  • Steel Abalone (2).jpg
    Steel Abalone (2).jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 115
  • Blue Satin Sierra.jpg
    Blue Satin Sierra.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 124
  • Tan Plaid Custom (1).jpg
    Tan Plaid Custom (1).jpg
    184 KB · Views: 112
  • Tan Plaid Custom (3).jpg
    Tan Plaid Custom (3).jpg
    445.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_7744.jpg
    IMG_7744.jpg
    757.5 KB · Views: 136
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

Thanks for sharing. Always been a fan of the custom bands and cabs. That plaid blank is really nice.

jttheclockman

Nicely done. I think the stainless kit is going to be a hit for them. Your plaid blanks jump out and make a statement for sure. Again another hit and something different. Thanks for showing.

sorcerertd

Sweet! I've been thinking of trying a custom band on one of the sierra style pens, but they seem like they'd be so delicate that thin. It looks like going bold works, too. Awesome work!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Inspirational! Little wonder you were invited to participate in Ed's Zoom demo.
John is invited every month!!
ExoticBlanks hosts John and Mark Dreyer every month, usually on the third Thursday of the month. The topic changes from month to month, but the "cast" always includes the three of us (unless one is unavailable). Our past sessions have also included Dick Sing, Chris & Christy Caliendo (EasyWood Tool owners), Rick Rosenberg (Glu-Boost owner). It is our intention to present information that is accurate and not usually available!

To be invited, simply send an email to "sales@ExoticBlanks.com" with the subject line, "Invite me" and you will be added to the list.

jrista

John is invited every month!!
ExoticBlanks hosts John and Mark Dreyer every month, usually on the third Thursday of the month. The topic changes from month to month, but the "cast" always includes the three of us (unless one is unavailable). Our past sessions have also included Dick Sing, Chris & Christy Caliendo (EasyWood Tool owners), Rick Rosenberg (Glu-Boost owner). It is our intention to present information that is accurate and not usually available!

To be invited, simply send an email to "sales@ExoticBlanks.com" with the subject line, "Invite me" and you will be added to the list.
Thanks for hosting these, Ed!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks for hosting these, Ed!
It is EASY for ME!!
Mark and John have to drive about 2 hours each way, spend most of their day setting up and discussing strategy, then go HOME, usually leaving after 9 PM for their 2 hour trip. So far, we have been lucky--the weather has not been terrible.

It's great to have such good friends who also happen to be extremely talented in penmaking and marketing!!

jrista

It is EASY for ME!!
Mark and John have to drive about 2 hours each way, spend most of their day setting up and discussing strategy, then go HOME, usually leaving after 9 PM for their 2 hour trip. So far, we have been lucky--the weather has not been terrible.

It's great to have such good friends who also happen to be extremely talented in penmaking and marketing!!
Thanks @JohnU and @mg_dreyer for driving such a long way to do these! That's quite a drive for the day.

Top Bottom