New Pen Turner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dawson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawson

Hello!
I have recently started turning pens. (I think a drug habit might be cheaper!) However, I am finding it VERY rewarding as well as challenging. Here are two of by better results so far. (After seeing some of the gorgeous photo posted on this web site, I think I may have tried to be a little too cute with the setting for my photos. I’ll do better next time.)
The two toned pen is fancy wood and cocobolo. The other is made from a century old pecan tree that was harvested in Mississippi about 30 years ago after being hit by lighting. I purchased it in El Paso, TX and have hauled in all around the country for 20 years waiting to find the perfect project for it.
I am still learning about how to finish the pens to obtain the long lasting shine. I would appreciate any feedback and criticism of what you see here. I especially would appreciate any resources you could point me to regarding CA finishes.
Dawson Nixon
Snellville, Georgia

200671701219_Euro-Pen-Pecan1.jpg

2006716235624_Dual Wood Euro PenD

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elody21

Hi Dawson,
Welcome! Only one pen is showing on your post but it is very nice! Is this the pecan wood? I love woods with history! As for the CA finish. I believe there is something written up about the subject. Just go to the home page and check out the list of tutorials.
I love shiny finishes too but have not yet mastered the CA way. I use a water based poly when I do wood.
Keep those pens coming! You are doing a great job. Alice
PS I am sure one of the guys can help out with making your picture size smaller. It would make your posts easier to read.

gerryr

Very nice shape to the pen. You do need to resize the photos to 640. If you're using Windows XP, there's a great free utility that resizes them very quickly, but I can't remember the link to it.[:(] And, welcome to the IAP>

OSCAR15

Nice job, and yes there are much cheaper addictions! That is what it is..an addiction.....At least you know where all your spare money is going.....Great looking pen.

kkwall

Like the pen, good work!

I only started a couple of months ago, and am hooked completely.

As for the expense, if you dont add it up, it doesn't hurt as much, and it hardly hurts at all if you dont tell your other half. That said, she is starting to wonder what all the machinery that is appearing in the garage is though!!!!![}:)]

As for the CA finish, I havent perfected it yet, but I am getting there, the best tip was using Micro Mesh, which makes the world of difference. I have followed the instructions on Don Wards tutorial, and found it really worked for me, see link below.

http://www.penturners.org/content/DonWardCA.pdf

Keep up the good work, and remember, practise makes perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom