New Pen Lathe Available

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I got a Woodcraft flier in the mail today, looks they are selling a new pen lathe. If it's not new, I've never seen it before. Just an FYI.
23470F9B-6FD6-4249-84FF-DA43D01AE52F.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gabarus

King is well established as a power tool seller in Canada. They offer a lower price line of tools. I have had a couple. They are not the best quality but affordable.

monophoto

This looks remarkably similar to my first lathe - ShopFox 1704; adjustable speed with a single belt position, 1/3 HP motor, no handwheel on the headstock, and a knob rather than a handle on the tailstock. Fine as a starter lathe and for making kit pens, but seriously underpowered for anything larger.

King Canada lathes are made in China and often have specs similar to lathes sold by US suppliers with different names. For example, King Canada has a 12x18 lathe that looks just like my 12" Turncrafter except for the color of the paint and the fact that the King Canada variant has a built-in reversing switch.

KenB259

This looks remarkably similar to my first lathe - ShopFox 1704; adjustable speed with a single belt position, 1/3 HP motor, no handwheel on the headstock, and a knob rather than a handle on the tailstock. Fine as a starter lathe and for making kit pens, but seriously underpowered for anything larger.

King Canada lathes are made in China and often have specs similar to lathes sold by US suppliers with different names. For example, King Canada has a 12x18 lathe that looks just like my 12" Turncrafter except for the color of the paint and the fact that the King Canada variant has a built-in reversing switch.
Yes definitely entry level, I had just never seen it offered before.

RGVPens

Don't know about the lathe...but I've been using a King scroll saw for several years and I think it's one of the best. In fact I've been told several of the top brands are based off the King design. But scroll saws are a different critter than lathes. My scroll saw is made at the Taiwan plant, not China.

KenB259

Don't know about the lathe...but I've been using a King scroll saw for several years and I think it's one of the best. In fact I've been told several of the top brands are based off the King design. But scroll saws are a different critter than lathes. My scroll saw is made at the Taiwan plant, not China.
My wife has the King scroll saw, pretty well built, and very stable and very low vibration.

Woodchipper

If it's a MT1, personally, I would avoid it as accessories are not as numerous as MT2. I do like the on/off switch by the headstock: turn it off and slow the headstock down with the same hand.

Top Bottom