New one

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Hubert H

Hubert H

I really enjoyed making this one. It is maple with some Rose Wood accents.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 404
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 305
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hubert H

John, I'll try - I drilled a 3/8" hole in a Rosewood pen blank. Than I Turned a piece of Maple to a 3/8" dowel and glued about a 2" piece into the Rosewood blank. I cut off about 1 1/2 inch piece. I centered the 3/8 inch dowel that I had glued into the piece of Rosewood between centers on the lathe and turn the whole thing down to three-quarter inches. Then I took my Maple blank and glued some pine scabs on the edges. Now I was able to drill a three-quarter inch hole in the very center of my Maple blank. Now I glued the 3/4" Rosewood dowel with a maple center into the 3/4" hole I had in the maple blank. After the glued in piece had cured I trimmed off the pine scabs and you have seen the results after it was turned. The difficult part is keeping everything centered. Have fun.

jttheclockman

John, I'll try - I drilled a 3/8" hole in a Rosewood pen blank. Than I Turned a piece of Maple to a 3/8" dowel and glued about a 2" piece into the Rosewood blank. I cut off about 1 1/2 inch piece. I centered the 3/8 inch dowel that I had glued into the piece of Rosewood between centers on the lathe and turn the whole thing down to three-quarter inches. Then I took my Maple blank and glued some pine scabs on the edges. Now I was able to drill a three-quarter inch hole in the very center of my Maple blank. Now I glued the 3/4" Rosewood dowel with a maple center into the 3/4" hole I had in the maple blank. After the glued in piece had cured I trimmed off the pine scabs and you have seen the results after it was turned. The difficult part is keeping everything centered. Have fun.

Thanks for the explanation. Great idea and nice to see the thinking outside the box. Looks great. Thanks for showing.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
All round nice!! Great choice in contrasting woods, great fit and finish, good picture and especially well done on the spacing of your segments. It's attention to detail like yours that make it stand out. Well done!!:wink:

SDB777

So this all took about 45 seconds, right? Just kidding!!!

Smoly crap dude! That process is pertty neat. Never though to consider turning a round 'hole' in the side of the blank going to opposite direction! And nicely sanded too, can't see any 'bleed over' from one wood to the other!

Did you happen to get any tearout with the grain being 'crosscut' in the 'hole' while turning the entire blank?

Scott (this is on my 'tuit list') B

BSea

Very cool blank, and on one of my favorite kits too. I think I'll have to read your explaination a few times before I figure it out. (If I ever do):rolleyes:

Russknan

Beautiful pen! Problem is, now I'm probably going to wake up in the middle of the night in terror after dreaming that, somehow, I was required to do the kind of precision drilling you pulled off so magnificently. I've stayed away from the long clickers for that reason. But YOU added at least several magnitudes of difficulty to that - and made it look easy. Congratulations! Wish I could take some lessons from you. Russ

Hubert H

Tearout - very sharp tool and going slow. Yes tearout would be a problem if you try to go fast.

Thanks for the kind words all.

BSea

Ok, I think I understand this a little better now. I thought that you curved the ends of the middle part in. Sort of concave. But based on your description, I'm now guessing (I do a lot of guessing) that it looks that way because you tapered in the center section. Right?

Top Bottom