New motor break in

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Is it required/necessary to break in a new motor (mid size taig lathe 3/4)hp. Or do you just go for it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1shootist

I've owned 2 new ones used both the same, never any break in at all on either.

Last edited:

PenPal

Even with motor cars running in went out with button up boots I thought. I am using motors that are thirty and forty years old three phase. I have Taig with a 3/4 HP motor I never preran or run in. As a Sparkie I never heard that expression applied to an electric motor. What i have heard is using ingle phase to three phase controllers the capacitors that provide the phantum phases can be touchy. What I did though with the Taig I use a clear shield across the motor to prevent chips getting in the end shield.

Peter.

WriteON

Ok thanks for the replies. Reason I asked ..... on the Jet lathes there was a break in exercise....run at different speeds for x amount of time.

monophoto

Agree with others - there is no need for any specific 'break in' discipline for a motor. That said, I can understand that there could be an argument for taking a stepwise approach to the initial use of a motor-driven system, but that would be to assure that the mechanical system/linkages is properly aligned and adjusted before exposing it to heavy loading. I would view this not so much as a gradual break-in (ramp-up) process, but rather a process to assure that the system is working as intended before applying peak loading.

Curly

The break in isn't for the motor, it is for the gears in the gearbox. After the break in procedure you drain the oil while it is warm and fill with new. Then there might be another oil change after another run in period. No different than any other machine. Best practice is to at least follow the instructions in the manual.

Oops. :rolleyes: Just looked up the lathe and it doesn't have a gearbox but the advise is still sound for other machines.

jttheclockman

As Curly said if there is a oil cooled gearbox or oil cooled motor than there is a break in period and the instructions should tell you this. If the motor has brushes then there is a breakin period to seat the brushes properly. Most people do not do this and at times it is done at the factory. Brushless motors do not need a breakin period.

WriteON

I'm not going to do anything other than use the lathe fully. Was curious if anyone does a "break in". As much as I'm going to use it it will most likely outlive me repeatedly.

Attachments

• B6851BFD-9E1E-49A2-9644-8D7489FB454E.jpeg
    B6851BFD-9E1E-49A2-9644-8D7489FB454E.jpeg
    343.1 KB · Views: 210
  • CC440C51-653B-4EE1-8987-28C2450D53D8.jpeg
    CC440C51-653B-4EE1-8987-28C2450D53D8.jpeg
    356.5 KB · Views: 219

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'm not going to do anything other than use the lathe fully. Was curious if anyone does a "break in". As much as I'm going to use it it will most likely outlive me repeatedly.

Oohhh. aahhh..., a Cuesmith - I'd love to play with that for a few small projects. đź‘Ť

WriteON

Oohhh. aahhh..., a Cuesmith - I'd love to play with that for a few small projects. đź‘Ť
Chris Hightower (aka CueMan) is an absolute lathe master. The lathe has a lot of great small features, I really like the cross slide assembly...it is tight. Also the bed is 36" with a 12" extension. Lathe disassembles quickly for portability. Sorry we're not neighbors...would let you test drive...and teach me few things. Has a large bore chuck (1.4") I might try a basic walking cane. I'm currently setting up to core a ring. That'll be my first project with it. I did not get the instruction video it comes with as I told him I already had it...which I did not. I have other videos of his. My mistake.

pnemox

I just upgraded a lathe motor. Followed all instructions and there was no mention of a break-in process. Never heard of that for electric motors.

dogcatcher

I have no clue, but in my feeble mind I seem to remember something about electronic speed controlled motors needing to be "programed" when first used. It had something to do with VFD motors. This is way above my retired pay grade.

jttheclockman

I have no clue, but in my feeble mind I seem to remember something about electronic speed controlled motors needing to be "programed" when first used. It had something to do with VFD motors. This is way above my retired pay grade.
Larger 3 phase motors

WriteON

This was may concern...and I did follow it with the Jet VS1221

the Nova Comet II manual directs users to run the motor at a fairly high speed for 30-40 minutes before putting the lathe under load.

Penultimate

Greetings
AC motors and BLDC motors don't require break ins. If the Taig motor is a new permanent magnet motor (PMDC) then the brushes need to seat on the comm and put down a carbon film. That shouldn't take long just don't run at full speed and high loads for a few hours. The current density (amps/sq in) will decrease and the motor and brushes will work OK.

Top Bottom