New member with a problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Harryvan

New to this forum Have been making pens for as year or two. Use CA glue finish. follow with Huts polish.
Lately have had several figured and regular walnut and rosewood blanks showing white material in the pores, which I assume is Huts,
but have not noticed this before, Also just turned birds eye maple, osage orange, flame maple but cannot see the same problem.
Anyone familiar with this and solution?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

If you polish to 12000, the pores should be filled if you put enough ca on. That said, I find with open pored wood, like Oak and walnut, if I do some CA sanding slurry (thin) after sanding but before finish, it fills the pores. I then sand again to make the blank level. Then clean blank, and apply CA. I do not use huts. I use Meguiar's PlastX

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska and welcome to the IAP community. I used to get white dots in my CA finish occasionally after I polished. Since going to a buffing system and ditching the polishes, my problem has gone away. I think there were pinholes or pin sized depressions in my CA that were getting filled with the polish and then when it dried it left behind little white dots.

I'm sure with the knowledge base here at IAP you will be able to adjust your regimen to find a solution.

Regards,
Dave

Harryvan

Greetings from Nebraska and welcome to the IAP community. I used to get white dots in my CA finish occasionally after I polished. Since going to a buffing system and ditching the polishes, my problem has gone away. I think there were pinholes or pin sized depressions in my CA that were getting filled with the polish and then when it dried it left behind little white dots.

I'm sure with the knowledge base here at IAP you will be able to adjust your regimen to find a solution.

Regards,
Dave
Thanks. So no CA, just buffing? What system of buffing? Always open to new methods

sorcerertd

Welcome from NC!
I usually try to fill the pores when using CA. That works especially well for me with chatoyant or figured woods. Lately, I have been using Pens Plus more often, which is a friction polish. Pens Plus is definitely easier to use.

egnald

Thanks. So no CA, just buffing? What system of buffing? Always open to new methods
Sorry, I do use CA, but I do not use polish. Instead, I buff with PSI's blue compound on a sewn cotton buffing wheel followed by buffing on a loose flannel wheel.

So, I eliminated the white, liquid polish that was getting into the pinholes.

Dave

MDVolle

Sorry, I do use CA, but I do not use polish. Instead, I buff with PSI's blue compound on a sewn cotton buffing wheel followed by buffing on a loose flannel wheel.

So, I eliminated the white, liquid polish that was getting into the pinholes.

Dave
I'm also using buffing compound after sanding CA to about 2500 - works with flannel on the lathe or with a buffing wheel - no liquid polish.

Top Bottom