New Member on TV - - - - - Maybe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

Those of us at the last meeting met Jeff. For those that didn't make it to the meeting, Jeff is a disabled vet who was injured in an automobile accident. He's confined to a wheel chair, and only has limited use of his arms. About a year or so ago, the VA organized a turning activity that started meeting once a week, and has grown to 4 times a week with 5 lathes (I think 5 is right). To make a long Story short, Jeff started turning pens, and to date has made over 100 pens and sells them through a shop in the Park Hill area of North Little Rock.

Now Channel 4 is going to film Jeff making a pen. It's scheduled to be aired on the 4th of July. I'm not sure what time of day. Ken told me, but that was a few hours ago, and my goldfish mind lost that bit of info. The reason there's a MAYBE in the title is because the story might get pulled depending on what the channel decides is "Newsworthy" that day. So stay turned and set your DVR's to see Jeff in action.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TDE

Way to go Jeff. I was able to meet Jeff at our last central Arkansas meeting and I actually got Jeff's pen in our pith. Cool pen. Great job. Ted

BSea

How can I contact the person running the turning program? I have a huge pile of blanks and would gladly donate.
Hi Terry.

Here's the contact information:

VA Voluntary Services
C/O Michael Dobbs
2200 Ft. Roots Drive
North Little Rock, AR 72114

While anything people can give is appreciated, what they really need is for the blanks to be drilled and tubes put in them, and squared. They are for the most part limited to just turning right now. In Jeff's case, The blanks are mounted for him. He turns, sands, and applies a friction polish to the pens. He doesn't have the physical ability yet to assemble the pen without help. I think some of the others are, but they are still just learning. The only kits they use at the moment are funline, and slimline. These both use 7mm slimline tubes.

I know our group is planning on doing some for each meeting we have. Hopefully that turns into a few hundred every 3 months or so.

So anyone wanting to contribute can send:

Blanks: Drilled, tubed, and squared is preferred, but not require.
Slimline or Funline pen kits
Extra 7mm Brass tubes (both kits use the same tubes)

eharri446

Please convey to Jeff my commendation on the beautiful pens that he makes and I recognition for not letting a terrible accident keep him down.

hanau

Do you think they could use some carbide tools?
I would be willing to donate a set, But the only thing is I don't make any handles.

If I Sent the tools to you do you think your group would be willing to make handles for them?

BSea

I would be willing to donate a set, But the only thing is I don't make any handles.

If I Sent the tools to you do you think your group would be willing to make handles for them?
Sure, we could do that. I'll send you a PM with my info.

Thanks

BSea

Well John, I wanted you to know that we made all 4 handles at our quarterly meeting, and they will be delivered to the VA this week. There is a small write up in our meeting thread, but here is the picture of the tools with handles.

View in Gallery

Thanks again for your generosity.:good:

Top Bottom