New mandrel?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I have the woodcraft mandrel that can take two blanks at one. Today, I was turning an acrylic blank for a Princeton pen. Inspecting the blank, it is oval and not round. I'm having to put the blank on the end of the mandrel- seeming to cause some flex in the shaft. Looking at Woodcraft mandrels to replace it. Shorter shaft should eliminate the flex. Recommendations? Need quick reply for free shipping! Willing to spend $$$ for a good mandrel. The Professional can be used as a collet, too.
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/whiteside-pro-pen-mandrel-2-mt
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/professional-pen-turning-mandrel-2-mt

magpens

Watched Ed Brown's video on Exotic Blanks. He mounts the blank directly on the centers with no TBC bushings, etc. Tried that but was afraid of flaring the tube.
I do this all the time. . The flaring effect is very minimal if any.

leehljp

Member Liaison
https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKMBCM2.html
According to this, you still need bushings. Correct????

As I much as I respect the company (PSI), it is specifically creating confusion and drawing on that confusion to sell, IMO. They have a good product there but it is NOT a "mandrel system". They are deliberately using the term "Mandrel System" to get those who use mandrels to try that.

People are opinionated :rolleyes: ;), and there is a gap between most TBC users and those who use Mandrels, and we always defend the method that WE use. Knowing that, PSI is targeting Mandrel users with that term to draw them to MandrelLESS or TBC with their new product.

It is nothing more than TBC with a short rod to mount bushings. That product is a good idea but misusing the Mandrel/TBC terms and causing confusion. It is MandrelLESS or TBC. At best, it should be PSI's TBC system, NOT "TBC Mandrel System".

jttheclockman

Watched Ed Brown's video on Exotic Blanks. He mounts the blank directly on the centers with no TBC bushings, etc. Tried that but was afraid of flaring the tube.
This is a huge concern and not recommended unless you know what you are doing. Some kits are sensitive to flare on the ends when it comes to mounting parts so be careful not to use too much pressure. Spinning blanks and people tighten the tailstock and then you have the possibility of introducing small hairline cracks in the blank especially if it is turned down real thin on the ends like a cigar kit. Just an opinion.

Woodchipper

Posted this on another thread. This was one of the ultra-thin turnings that peeled off; for a Woodcraft Princeton kit.
20191229_194645.jpg

qquake

I like the adjustable Maxi Mandrel from PSI. Been using one for years.

Woodchipper

Thanks, Jim. Ordered a similar one from Woodcraft yesterday along with other things. I feel the shorter shaft will eliminate any flex. Worth a try. If I don't spend the $$$, my kids and grandkids will.
I'm now a non-profit organization!

penicillin

I like the adjustable Maxi Mandrel from PSI. Been using one for years.

Do you need special bushings to use with it? The shaft diameter (7 mm = 0.276 inches) is larger than the standard "Letter D" shaft size (0.246 inches). I suspect that my bushings won't fit.

I have one of these adjustable mandrels, and plan to buy some Letter D drill stock to try with it:

pshrynk

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKMBCM2.html
According to this, you still need bushings. Correct????
I've been using this lately, but the bushing keep getting stuck hard on the shafts. It takes a lot of effort to pry them off and in one instance, the bushing was damaged to the point that I needed a new one. I've tried filing the tip to a taper, rather than blunt, but it still happens. There doesn't seem to be any irregularity elsewhere on the shaft, either.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Because I have a LOT of videos, I am not sure what you saw!! When I turn a pen, I am usually using turn-between-center bushings. Dawn bought me a metal lathe so I can make bushings when they are not otherwise available.

If you saw me turning without bushings, it was (I think) in the Glu-Boost videos, where I remove the bushings so they don't get glued to the blank.

I agree that turning with the 60 degree center in the blank is risky!! You can easily crack your blank with too much pressure!!

Sorry if I show otherwise somewhere!!!
Ed

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
To address your question about mandrels, I used an adjustable mandrel for 20 years before changing to the present system. They are GREAT and there are many available. All of them work. You can get hand tighten or wrench tighten, which makes for some cost difference. Choice is yours.

Penchant 4

I have the woodcraft mandrel that can take two blanks at one. Today, I was turning an acrylic blank for a Princeton pen. Inspecting the blank, it is oval and not round. I'm having to put the blank on the end of the mandrel- seeming to cause some flex in the shaft. Looking at Woodcraft mandrels to replace it. Shorter shaft should eliminate the flex. Recommendations? Need quick reply for free shipping! Willing to spend $$$ for a good mandrel. The Professional can be used as a collet, too.
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/whiteside-pro-pen-mandrel-2-mt
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/professional-pen-turning-mandrel-2-mt

Some time ago, I stopped turning both parts of two barrel kits at the same time/next to each other on the same mandrel. Consequently, there is less distance between the head and tail stocks. Problems with mandrel flex and resultant out of round condition disappeared. Additionally, I have always used the mandrel saver.

Yes, it takes longer; but that more than offsets the frustration and lost production accompanying out of round blanks.

$0.02.

P4

Woodchipper

P4, I also quit turning two blanks for the same reason. My mandrel had the threaded end and leaves a lot of shaft between the headstock and the blank. My new mandrel won't be in until next week. Argggh! Just hope it's not delivered to another address- had this happen too many times. Addresses have same number but totally different street names.

howsitwork

I too have abandoned turn8gn both sections of a two section pen at once. This reduces or eliminates mandrel flex. I have also just gone over to a centre saver so can't comment as yet on its effectiveness. In theory it's great as no pressure on the shaft, we shall see.

zig613

If I don,t use between centre bushings I use the adjustable mandrill from Lee Valley. It can easily be adjusted to whatever size of blank you want to turn. As noted in several other post the shorter the shaft the less flex.

wade

qquake

If you have a collet chuck just unscrew the mandrel and use the collet chuck to hold it.

I used to use a collet chuck like this, but I think I only paid $50 for it. It worked well, but the PSI adjustable mandrel is a little easier to use.

penicillin

I think when they say "7mm shaft" they mean that 7mm tubes fit on it. All of my bushings fit on the shaft just fine.

Then it must be the similar to the adjustable mandrel that I have from Rockler. Is there anything else that makes it special?

I have the Mandrel Saver, but don't like it. No matter how much I tighten the tail stock, the blank still spins.
I assume that "blank still spins" means that the turning tool catches the blank and the blank stops rotating, but the rest of the lathe and pen mandrel keep turning, right?

Something isn't right. Is the tailstock lock holding? Can you see the bottom of the tailstock move on the rail when you turn the tailstock handscrew? Could the spindle lock on the tailstock be tight?

KenB259

This is the one I use mostly. They sell replacement shafts, though I've never bent one. I use a mandrel saver with it and turn one barrel at a time, plenty of room for both barrels, if your so inclined. I believe the replacement shafts are only 7 bucks. The picture shows a #1 Morse taper, I actually have the #2 Morse taper version.
IMG_1423.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

Woodchipper

Looked at it and forgot to order it with free freight. Will be by the WC store next week. Good excuse to stop in. Like the collet part.

qquake

Then it must be the similar to the adjustable mandrel that I have from Rockler. Is there anything else that makes it special?

No, it looks like the one I got from PSI.

I assume that "blank still spins" means that the turning tool catches the blank and the blank stops rotating, but the rest of the lathe and pen mandrel keep turning, right?

Correct.

Something isn't right. Is the tailstock lock holding? Can you see the bottom of the tailstock move on the rail when you turn the tailstock handscrew? Could the spindle lock on the tailstock be tight?

No, the tailstock doesn't creep. It's a Jet 1221VS, and unlike the Harbor Freight lathe it replaced, the tailstock stays rock solid. I have a feeling the problem is in my turning technique. I tend to be slightly too aggressive at times.

qquake

Looked at it and forgot to order it with free freight. Will be by the WC store next week. Good excuse to stop in. Like the collet part.

Kind of pricey, but that's Woodcraft. Do you have a Rockler nearby?

Woodchipper

I know that WC is pricey but I buy a lot from them. They are most helpful and go out of their way for customers. My grandson and I have each taken a pen turning class there. FWIW, my wife and I went in there several months ago. She helped pick out pen kits and wood. Came to over $100 so she couldn't complain about the money spent.

KenB259

Kind of pricey, but that's Woodcraft. Do you have a Rockler nearby?

It's a little more than some other mandrel,s ,but it is very well made. I buy for quality,not price, at least to a certain extent. I've had mine for about two years, after a few hundred pens, 23 bucks is hardly expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

qquake

It's a little more than some other mandrel,s ,but it is very well made. I buy for quality,not price, at least to a certain extent. I've had mine for about two years, after a few hundred pens, 23 bucks is hardly expensive.

I've had my PSI mandrel for at least that long, and turned dozens of pens with it. I love the thing.

Top Bottom