New Lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LouF

I am looking to get a new Bench top Lathe I currently have a Excelsior 5-Speed Mini Lathe this was my first Lathe and it has seen it's better days. I have looked all over and called Rockler on replacement parts all they have is belts and a bed extension. So I have looked at the Truecrafter Commander & Nova Comet does anyone have experience with these Lathes good or bad or maybe a good recommendation on a different Lathe something I can get replacement parts if needed? I will be using the Lathe for pens and small projects only variable speed preferred Thanks.:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

I would suggest Jet or Rikon for a mini lathe. For a Midi lathe, again, Jet or Rikon.
As for Midi lathes, the Comet, is 3/4 HP which is good but not as good as the 1HP Jet and Rikon. The Comet is lighter weight and a good carry lathe for shows but the other choices would be better for heavier work such as bowls. For pens and small work, the Comet is fine.
Yes, Variable speed for sure.
Also, compare warranties before buying.

Good luck!

Last edited:

LouF

Charlie thank you for your reply I will have to do some more research I also found out Rockler has a Ph. number to call now for parts.

corks58

Really like my Delta 46-460. Never used a reverse direction lathe before and really like the way it speeds up sanding and finishing. Headstock and tailstock dead on right out of the box.

Woodchipper

I have a Rikon 70-050VS which has been replaced by an upgraded model. Rikon has a five year warranty. Check warranties before you buy. If you look real close, you will see that some lathes are the same except for the paint.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
If you want to repair your old lathe, check out Grizzly:
Shop Tools and Machinery at Grizzly.com

Grizzly and Harbor Freight sell the exact same lathe as the Excelsior - just with their own names & colors. Rockler & HF have a parts list in their manuals, but no part numbers. The Grizzly manual has an actual part number for each part and you can order individual parts from Grizzly.com on line.

The Grizzly parts list file is below. Here's a link to the full Grizzly manual. It's too big to include in the post.
http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/h8259_m.pdf

Attachments

• Grizzly 10x18 Lathe Parts List.pdf
    918.8 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

LouF

If you want to repair your old lathe, check out Grizzly:
Shop Tools and Machinery at Grizzly.com

Grizzly and Harbor Freight sell the exact same lathe as the Excelsior - just with their own names & colors. Rockler & HF have a parts list in their manuals, but no part numbers. The Grizzly manual has an actual part number for each part and you can order individual parts from Grizzly.com on line.

The Grizzly parts list file is below. Here's a link to the full Grizzly manual. It's too big to include in the post.
http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/h8259_m.pdf

Thanks Edgar:)

Charlie_W

Just a side note.....I checked out the Excelsior lathe at Rockler. No-where is there any mention of any kind of warranty. I even clicked on the owners manual....no warranty listed.
I do realize as Edgar stated several of these are clones and parts are available.

LouF

Just a side note.....I checked out the Excelsior lathe at Rockler. No-where is there any mention of any kind of warranty. I even clicked on the owners manual....no warranty listed.
I do realize as Edgar stated several of these are clones and parts are available.
True I should have noticed that when I purchased it I never did notice that until it was to late. I looked at the Rikon it has a five year warranty I am leaning towards that one. This Excelsior I am having problems with the Tail stock the threads strpped out Eccentric axis so I redrilled it and install a Helicoil and that fixed that problem. Now the Tail stock will not tighten down to the bed it keeps sliding around I adjusted it and it still moves. I also have had problems with the motor getting real hot.:confused:

tonylumps

I have had the Rikon 70-220 VS for awhile now.Cought it on sale at woodcraft.That sale comes up about 3 or 4 times a year.It has been flawless so far.Except the set screw came loose on the tailstock crank.But a little locktite took care of that.if you have to change the belt speed.Witch I only do for a CA finish to drop it down to about 700-800 RPM it is very easy set up.if you have a Woodcraft nearby it would be nice to compare with the others you are looking at.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I believe that all the clones of this particular 10x18 lathe are made by the Burt Group for various suppliers. Burt's web site states that they will provide free replacement parts for 1 year. I don't know if that applies to their rebranded lathes or just those carrying their original part number (MC1018 in this case), but if anyone has a Rockler, HF, or other clone of this lathe, I would at least contact Burt if there was a problem within the first year & I could not get any help from the actual supplier.

At any rate, it looks like the maximum warranty that anyone might get on these lathes is 1 year.

MC1018-Burt Group Co. Ltd.

JimB

Jet and Rikon both have 5 year warranty and very good reputations for customer service. I have a Jet 1014vs that I bought over 9 years ago. I've never had a problem with it. Even the belt is still original. The 1014 isn't available any more but they have the 1015 and the 1221. Check them out.

preacherman

I have a nova comet and it has been a good lathe. Had it about 4 years now I guess. I have turned a bunch of pens, as well as a few other things. I have recommended this lathe before and will continue to do so for lathes in this price range. You can watch it and catch it on sale occasionally.

However, after use it has developed a little bit of slop in the ways for the tail stock. It will lock down true but you have to pay attention to make certain you get it right. Not a big deal for me as I most turn pens between centers and the short distance really doesn't matter much. But while turning a pepermill recently I noticed that it did cause a bit of problems. If this is your price range I don't think you would go wrong with a nova comet. But I have my eye on a jet 1221 and if I ever catch a used one around me for sale I'll be upgrading to it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom