New lathe stand

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

I finally got an outside deck built on my shop so now I can weld. I don't feel comfortable welding inside because I have wooden floors and there's alot of sawdust. I still have a wooden deck but I feel OK about welding outside.

My new South Bend is still on backorder but they say it will be ready tomorrow....I'll believe it when my credit card is credited!:biggrin:

Anyway, here's the cabinet/stand I made for it......
attachment.php

This shows it with a coat of primer and the drawer slides installed. It's made from 1 1/2" angle iron and I was a welder in a former life so it's plenty strong.

attachment.php

Drawers and wheels installed and some South Bend blue paint.

attachment.php

This is one of the drawers. I made the handles from 3/8" aluminum stock. I really like the "industrial" look.

attachment.php

Here's the finished product. I have a 1" plywood top and I covered it with 22 ga. galvinized sheet metal so it will be easy to clean.

Now if I only had a lathe to put on top.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

IT'S COMING ROY, IT'S COMING!!!!

Attachments

• lathe stand 001.jpg
    lathe stand 001.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 4,789
  • lathe stand 002.jpg
    lathe stand 002.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 4,241
  • lathe stand 003.jpg
    lathe stand 003.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 2,241
  • FINISHED.jpg
    FINISHED.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 2,907
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

socdad

It's made from 1 1/2" angle iron and I was a welder in a former life so it's plenty strong.

Beautiful and functional … I would really hate to see; an really, really hate to move, what you consider 'down write sturdy'

bitshird

Rick you want to build me a new stand for my old Jet?? Had it sitting on a Craftsman work bench with a bunch of drawers, but I think the frame was made from old beer cans. now we kind of have to chase the lathe around. That's a good looking Lathe Cabinet!!

titan2

Beautiful work bench you got there!!!

Also, be sure to do a 'Fire Watch' whenever you finish welding on your nice, new wooden deck! Would really be a shame to have it light up after you're done and gone....

Barney

EarlD

I'm not sure...looks a little flimsy to me. Just kidding! That's fantastic. Please remember to post pictures after you get the lathe mounted. And of course, we want to see what you make on it!

LeeR

Hey Rick, those drawer pulls look vaguely familiar ...

Oh, really similar to your tool rests!

I like the colors, too -- anxious to see pictures of the lathe perched on top of it.

Top Bottom