New lathe installed,and neat tube insertion tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

Hi All,

I just finished up installing my new Delta 46-460 lathe that Santa got me. ( I LOVE Santa! ) Mounting it on my cart I have was the hard part,but I think it turned out really neat.I can't wait to make my next pen!

I posted pics of it towards to end of my Photobucket page,and on page 2,I posted pics of a tool that I use as a small engine mechanic ( lock ring pliers ) that look like they will make my life easier,when gluing in brass tubes.I use CA glue since my time is so limited,and I hate using the tapered-punch tool they sell that is advertized as not sticking to the tube.I have problems right at the end when I push it all the way in,it gets jammed trying to remove it.

Anyway,these lock ring pliers grip inside the tube aways,out of the glue zone,and look to be a good idea for me to use,so I thought I'd share it here in case someone else here may haved gthe same problem.

The PR16 set from Snap-on tools fit perfect,but the set I saw at Sears
Are about $15.00 ( more than half-price ) but would need the jaws made a little narrower on the grinder,I'm guessing they would work as well.Part number on those is #47386, item # 00947386000 in case wants to check out Sears.com

Just thought I'd pass this tool-tip on for the heck of it.

Pics are at http://s361.photobucket.com/albums/oo52/ossaguy

Take care,
Steve

San Diego

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Noah

Congrats on the new lathe... I'd sure like my Mrs. Santa to have that idea... :)

Thanks for the tip...Sounds like a good idea, I don't like the insertion tool either...seems clumsy to me...The lock ring pliers ought to work as long as you don't distort the brass tube...

Enjoy...
Ed

Top Bottom