New Lathe Inquiry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turnin4fun

I am thinking about upgrading into a bigger lathe, I am torn between the Nova DVR XP Lathe and the Jet 16 x 42 Wood Lathe Pro. Any suggestions or comments would help greatly.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

I am very happy with my Jet 1642 but I'll bet you'll find Nova DVR owners are also happy with their lathes.

I recommend setting up a feature comparison chart and then make your decision based upon those features you must have, those you would like to have and those that are optional. Then throw the whole thing out and buy the one that best fits your budget as they are both good lathes with failry similar capabilities.:biggrin::biggrin:

Whaler

I have had my DVR-XP for a couple years now and believe that it is worth every penny that it cost. I love it.
If I had been able to fit the 1642 into my shop I may have went that way as all of my other lathes have been Jets with never a problem.
Tough decision between two great lathes.

Jim Burr

Banned
My 1642EVS 1.5 was bought in part to the MANY reviews found in the "search" function. There are several Jets in Fresno...including mine! Don't know of any DVR's but check with the AAW chapter, Sequoia Wood turners I think?

Last edited:

kovalcik

I have used both. I own the 1642 and my turning club has a Nova DVR. Both are good machines. The base units are about the same cost at Woodcraft (Jet $2300, Nova $2400) but the Nova needs a set of legs ($400), and Jet has Frequent 10% off sales. So it is more like $2100 for the Jet and $2800 for the Nova. Nova may run sales also, but I don't remember seeing them.

That said, I am not sorry that I got the 1642. It is heavy duty and accurate. I like the variable speed control. While I have never turned anything that required the full length of the bed (*yet*), it is nice to push the tailstock out of the way for doing bowls. without having to take it off.

I've bee studying this same issue. I may get a new lathe sometime after the first of the year, and since 4 Gs for a Powermatic is out of the question, I've come down on the side of the Jet 1642. I have my reasos for that and I'll not try convincing anyone on how to spend their money.

All that said, as kovalcik mentioned, the Jet has legs and is 42" BCs out of the box (and without the extension to align) for about $2400. The NOVA 55175 DVR XP 16-Inch by 24 would only set you back $200 more ($2600) overall adding the legs and extension and you'd gain outboard turning capability.

As I see it, the durability and dependability of both platforms are proven and both are fine machines... it just comes down to what will suit your needs, including future aspirations and foreseeable areas of interests.

turnin4fun

That is what I have found too, the prices are quite a bit different but I did not know if the Nova was worth the extra money or not.

turnin4fun

I will look for someone with both of these lathes and try them out. Just wanted to get input from others that may have used them.

Thanks again! :biggrin:

nava1uni

I have the Nova DVR and live in San Francisco. If you want to come up and try it out you are more then welcome to do so..
I really like the Nova and how easy it is to change the speed, I like the reverse option and the ability to turn outboard if I want to do so in the future.

Alzey

While I have never turned anything that required the full length of the bed (*yet*), it is nice to push the tailstock out of the way for doing bowls. without having to take it off.

I have a Delta 46-460 and later bought the bed extender for this reason alone. Good luck with your decision.

Wildman

What do you want to turn?

How big is you place to turn?

I have a small shop but have a Jet 1642 because like to turn big and small stuff. I often turn wet out of round pieces and long dry spindles so like my Jet. Also turn a lot of small items without problems. Everything came in one package, only optional equipment added was 6" Robust tool rest.

joefrog

I have the Nova DVR and live in San Francisco. If you want to come up and try it out you are more then welcome to do so..
I really like the Nova and how easy it is to change the speed, I like the reverse option and the ability to turn outboard if I want to do so in the future.

Party at Cindy's house!! We'll be there in about 30 minutes!

I'm also looking for a larger lathe. I like that "outboard" option a lot, but it hasn't quite sold me yet. How easy is it to realign back to the bed after you turn it 90?

kovalcik

The 1642 also has outboard turning and reverse. Check Amazon on Black Friday; picked up mine two years ago and saved enough to upgrade my bandsaw.

I remember when Woodcraft had a 15% off sale. I went home and told my wife I could save $1200 on the loaded powermatic lathe. She pointed out (correctly) that we could not afford to save that much.

Dick Mahany

The NOVA 55175 DVR XP 16-Inch by 24 would only set you back $200 more ($2600) overall adding the legs and extension and you'd gain outboard turning capability.

The Jet also has outboard turning capability as the entire headstock slides to the end of the bed. Both of those lathes are great machines. I've had the Jet 1642 for almost 10 yrs and really like it.

raar25

I bought a NOVA DVR this year and it is an amazing machine to work on. There is so little vibration and is so quiet it is easy to forget the machine is running if your not looking at the spindle. I did not bother with the legs I just mounted it on a work bench. I bought mine on sale for $1999 which you can still find if you search amazon. The only drawback is the 24" limit. If you need more you will have to spend an additional $200 for a bed extension.

Top Bottom