New kind of failure...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

So I decided to try eye shadow as a cheap alternative to mica powder for casting. My wife amassed a large collection before discovering that she was allergic to it.

I heated up the silmar, got the bubbles out, mixed in the powder until I was happy and poured it into the mold. After stirring for about 30 min, I realized something was wrong because the powder was still trying to settle out.

About this time I realize that I forgot to add the catalyst. Fortunately, this was not the waste wood attempt, so I could just pour it back into the mixing cup to catalyze it. It is hardening now, so we will see how that works out.

Anyone else make weird mistakes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

steeler fan1

Hopefully you made a good save. Those are not mistakes, simply a design modification:wink:. In my world these are senior moments:biggrin:. Let us know how it turns out.

Carl

Brooks803

The eye shadow from coastal scents is freakin awesome to use! They also have some really cool colors I wish they'd carry in regular mica. Cost 10x more for 10x less though! The trial size is barely enough for 1 blank.

Fibonacci

Hopefully you made a good save. Those are not mistakes, simply a design modification:wink:. In my world these are senior moments:biggrin:. Let us know how it turns out.

Carl

I don't think I am allowed to use that excuse yet... The blank looks good so far, but I am not going to get a chance to turn it tonight. I loaned my centers to a friend yesterday.

navycop

So I decided to try eye shadow as a cheap alternative to mica powder for casting. My wife amassed a large collection before discovering that she was allergic to it.

I heated up the silmar, got the bubbles out, mixed in the powder until I was happy and poured it into the mold. After stirring for about 30 min, I realized something was wrong because the powder was still trying to settle out.

About this time I realize that I forgot to add the catalyst. Fortunately, this was not the waste wood attempt, so I could just pour it back into the mixing cup to catalyze it. It is hardening now, so we will see how that works out.

Anyone else make weird mistakes?
I did that same mistake this weekend, but was to embarassed to say anything. The wife and I were going out to dinner with out of town friends. I was in a hurry to pour a yellow and black blank (he likes the steelers). I wanted to turn it for him before he left today for home. So I mixed and poured it into the mold. I couldn't understand why it wasn't hard later on. Then it hit me I forgot the hardener.

JRay8

i forgot to add the catalyst the other day to a worthless wood attempt. i ruined a nice blank. it was spalted maple with worm holes in a straight line down the blank. Doh!

Top Bottom