New in St Augustine FL

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jmanimal73

Hello all!! I have been a woodworker for decades but have recently decided to try my hand at small turning projects. Pens, shift knobs, etc. looking forward to browsing the forum and learning more. Also looking for recommendations for a pen turning mandrel etc.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

howsitwork

Jason

welcome from the UK

If you want t9 try mandrills why not go for someth8ng a bit with a bit more general use such as an ER16 collet set with 6 to 10mm collets ( which you can buy as a set or singly)?

Fantastically accurate then you,only need some drill rod ( or silver steel as we call it ) and a centre saver for the tailstock of your lathe

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska - If you have a 60-degree live and dead center, you can turn pens without a mandrel using the TBC or Turn Between Centers method. Many swear by it. Personally though I typically use a mandrel saver package, essentially a hollow live center and a collet based drive center with a piece of "C" or "D" drill rod as the mandrel. I use the Drill Rod because it can be replaced with little expense (about $2/foot). In any setup there is a lot of latitude and a lot goes to personal preference, practice, and comfort level. Good luck and in most cases, doing small turnings like pens and bottle stoppers can be a very rewarding experience. - Dave

Top Bottom